StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some front brake pads with the bike. When I went to install them I noticed that both of them are the same side pads (FA229).
These are EBC Kevlar series. I went to the local dealer to get FA231 (Right side) but he only has FA231HH which is a sintered version:
Question: Can i put FA229 (kevlar) on one side and FA231HH (sintered?) on the other side?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i got some front brake pads with the bike. When I went to install them I noticed that both of them are the same side pads (FA229).
These are EBC Kevlar series. I went to the local dealer to get FA231 (Right side) but he only has FA231HH which is a sintered version:
Question: Can i put FA229 (kevlar) on one side and FA231HH (sintered?) on the other side?
I can't help giggling every time someone uses 'break' instead of 'brake'. I just imagine them going for the 'breaks' and the bike snapping in half or something...

Anyway, how many miles did you get out of the stock pads? Mine look ok, but I have almost 28000 miles on them, and it has had me wondering lately...

·
0 Posts
Brake(or Break) Pads should be of the same material on both sides...I would think at least.

I'd not mix materials....

I'm just sayin...

BTD.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch for catching the mistake. I guess I am not much of a speller - I am used to just let old Bill Gates check my typing everytime, usually he is a lot more attentive than I am at late nights. But even he wouldn't catch something as tricky as this!
I have ~24K on them. They may go for another 3-5K in the front but I needed to get the rear pads replaced anyway, so i was going to do the front ones too while i was at it. That's when I realized the left and the right sides are different.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mixed pads

Don't mix pads. I don't have a reason other then it would seem they would/might wear at a different rate and grab differently which i would think could apply slightly different torque to either side of the wheel.

Again I don't think it would be wise.

Coop

·
Registered
797 Posts
Don't mix pads. I don't have a reason other then it would seem they would/might wear at a different rate and grab differently which i would think could apply slightly different torque to either side of the wheel.

Again I don't think it would be wise.

Coop
+1

Different brake pad materials have different initial bite and different gripping properties as they heat up. I would also tend to think that mixing them might result in weird behavior and definitely uneven wear. I'm obviously not an expert, but I'd stick to the same material if I was faced with that situation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
+1 Mr. Metal.

Besides it may pull to one side due to on side gripping better then the other side.;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you all. I didnt think of the difference in the reposne of the diff material. Thank you for pointing that out.
I'll just wait and get kevlar pads instead of sintered ones.
thank you.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
+1 Mr. Metal.

Besides it may pull to one side due to on side gripping better then the other side.;)
I don't really think it's going to "pull" to one side. Worst thing that's going to happen by using two different pads is one side of the rotor wearing differently the other.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
No pulling. There are a number of bikes out there with a single disk on the front.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 2 cents

As long as everyone else has an opinion...

Go ahead and use them, worse thing that will happen is you will have a little more material on the side that wears less when it comes time to change pads again.

I mean, DUH! It ain't rocket surgery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts