StromTrooper banner

Brake Pads

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  streicher708 
G
#1 ·
So who is getting how many miles out of their pads. I know that it will be different since each of us has a unique riding style. I am rolling at 18K with the stockers and they are still in good shape.

If you have replaced them, are you using a particular brand vs. OEM?

Brendan

#2 ·
I'm in shock :shock: this post did not get a response in over 2 1/2 years so just for the heck of it I'm going to bump it.

I think the brakes on the Strom absolutely SUCK. Worst brakes I've ever ridden with albeit I've only ridden sportbikes b/f the Strom so perhaps that influences my perspective here. I can't wait to get these stock pads off. Anyone recommend non-OEM pads for better performance?

#4 ·
If the brakes suck you are riding beyond the bikes limits IMO. The brakes are fine to those of us who come from cruisers

STROMETTE said:
I'm in shock :shock: this post did not get a response in over 2 1/2 years so just for the heck of it I'm going to bump it.

I think the brakes on the Strom absolutely SUCK. Worst brakes I've ever ridden with albeit I've only ridden sportbikes b/f the Strom so perhaps that influences my perspective here. I can't wait to get these stock pads off. Anyone recommend non-OEM pads for better performance?

#5 ·
I think the brakes have good feel and progression. I've had bikes that had stronger brakes but that isn't necessarily a good thing. I like that they aren't easy to lock up.

#6 ·
brakes

Granted, I've never had a sportbike to compare to, but, my 650 has the best brakes of the 35+ bikes I've owned in 30 yrs. 'Ette, I have a hard time believing that your brakes suck that bad! :? Maybe they need checked or something. Anybody else think they have sucky brakes? :wink:

#7 ·
Forgot to add: I'm over 19,000 miles and the pads look great still 8)

WIsixfitty said:
A little over 10,000 miles on my Wee and fronts and rears are ready for replacement.

I also ahve been riding spirtbikes all my life but I don't have any complaints about my brakes.

#8 ·
21,700 miles on what I believe are the stock front pads.

I replaced the rears at 20k. They were pretty well shot. Prior owner was a MotoX rider, and I think he used a LOT more back brake than a typical street rider would. Fronts look to have at least 50% still left on them. Since I've done nearly everything else that I can do to this bike (and she purrs like a dream) I will probably go with braided steel lines and new EBC pads up front when I get bored and some more money to throw at it.

#10 ·
Along the lines of brakes...This might be a stupid question but when I am pushing my DL650 out of the garage I notice a rubbing sound coming from the brakes that I haven't noticed on other bikes. I don't see any unusual wear issues but was curious if this is a normal sound. Dealer didn't sound concerned over the phone, but I think I may still take it in and have them look it over while I still have some warranty left. Anyone else notice this and is it normal?

Thanks,
Stlrmike

#11 ·
That's normal for disc brakes. I'm surprised you haven't heard it on other bikes.

#12 ·
Thanks Greywolf. I know that you will always hear some rubbing because the pads and rotor are always in contact, but this just seems a little rougher than normal. Probably nothing, but I will run it by the dealer to have them take a listen and put my mind at ease. I appreciate the quick response.

~Stlrmike

#13 ·
I had the honor of riding what I'll just call the Mack Daddy DL1k. I think this Strom has EVERY upgrade and mod possible, including BRAKES... SS lines and either DP or EBC HH pads (Stromette was too overwhelmed by all the mods to take it all in). All I know is what a *HUGE* difference. :mrgreen: YEEHAW!! I'm not an average rider so maybe that's why average brakes are a problem for Stromette. I spend 3 hrs a wk doing nothing but 1st-2nd gear parking lot maneuvers w/a precision drill team (I practice to practice, they practice to compete). This is when the inadequacies of the Strom's front brakes are glowing IMHO, second only to doing the same when riding 2up. For those that are happy w/stockers, right on & ride on. For those needing more, thankfully there are options.

Oh, and if you have a brand new Strom check/tighten your caliper bolts. Someone posted on the boards his fell off while in route to his 600mi service. :shock: Wouldn't matter what kind of brake pads you have if the calipers are falling off!

#14 ·
Can you be more specific about the difference? I would think low speed manuevers aren't really a good test of how well brakes work as far as stopping ability is concerned since there is less energy involved. Is it lever feel, stopping distance, front end dive or what?

#15 ·
Greywolf,

I have no issues with the brakes as far as stopping power or lever feel and I think the front-end dive issues have been beat to death on other threads. It is simply the noise I hear when I am pushing the bike without depressing the brakes. There is always some noise associated with the pads/rotors but this seems harsher. Like the noise a car's brakes make when the pads are worn down and they are tearing into the rotors. The only thing is I don't see any unusual wear patterns, grooving, etc. The caliper bolts are fine so maybe it is the type of pad and this is normal. Like I referenced before I will just take it by the dealer and have them take a look for peace of mind. One would think that if the pads and rotors look to be in fine working order and there are no issues with the actual braking performance that it is okay, but brakes are definitely one of those things I want to be sure about.

#16 ·
Sorry about not being more specific myself. I was wondering about Stromette's experience.

#18 ·
ss lines

I too think these brakes are horrible. Granted my prvious bike was a zx-10 with great stoppers.....that being said, i have found that while riding alone without luggage the brakes seem pretty acceptable if your not riding hard. However while riding two up loaded with luggage the brakes always leave me downshifting earlier and braking earlier to compensate. This is not very comforting in an emergecy braking situation.
has anyone had good luck with a certain ss line/after market pad combo??? if so i'd be thrilled to hear about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.