StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have 6300 on my DL1000K07 and will be leaving in 3 weeks for a month long nationwide tour that should be about 9000 miles. The bike still has stock brake pads, and I'm thinking I should put on new ones before leaving.

Can anyone comment on how many miles you got on your stock brake pads before needing them replaced?

Thanks in advance.

·
0 Posts
I've got the same miles on my bike, and my pads still look new.

I'd not hesitate to do that trip on my pads.

I think you'll be fine.

Have fun!!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My front ones were at about halflife at 21,000 mi. The rear had more life then that. This is really a question that depends on your own personal brake usage and riding style (e.g. highway vs. stoplights, taking it easy vs. hard brake, use engine braking a lot vs none). My suggestion is to take the time to actually look at your brakes every once and while. The pads have really easy to see wear notches built in. If you're worried about it get some new pads and take them with you, they don't take up too much space.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's not how many miles you have on the pads, it's how many stops.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueRidgeWee said:
This is really a question that depends on your own personal brake usage and riding style (e.g. highway vs. stoplights, taking it easy vs. hard brake, use engine braking a lot vs none).
greywolf said:
It's not how many miles you have on the pads, it's how many stops.
Of course. I had meant to mention my riding style, but forgot when I typed the post. I brake like all hell. If I could start slowing down 40 yards before a light, I wait until 2 feet, stomp my foot and grab a handful. Unless someone's behind me, then I flash my brake lights intermittenly.

Still based on the numbers quoted I think I'll be just fine. If I get into a problem I'll find a dealer.

Thanks Strommers!

M

·
0 Posts
Stick some EBC HH pads in there and you'll wonder how you stopped before.:)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Stick some EBC HH pads in there and you'll wonder how you stopped before.:)
I used to be worried about excessive rotor wear with these but people who I trust are very happy with them. They aren't like the sintered race pads that have to be hot to work and need tempered steel rotors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts