StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all troopers!

For the life of me I cannot find the wear indicators on my 2013 DL650 rear brake pads as the manual describes them. My guess is you have to pull off the caliper unit to see them? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for any feedback 馃憤

Registered
Generally if you take a bright light and look at the back of the brake pads you can see a groove. When the groove is gone, so are your pads. It can be hard to get a clear line of sight on the pads. I just always check them well when I remove the wheel. Bottom line, you can do that to check them.

Registered
Check, at tire changes.

In my experience, Wee pads last a long time.

Reactions: Solarguy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I did shine a really bright flashlight at the pads, looked forever and did not see a groove. Most likely means they need replacement. I only have 16,500 on the 2013. Do folks think it鈥檚 probably time or maybe wait another 1,500 miles?

Registered
Sounds a bit early to me but it depends how much you use the rear brakes. They do tend to wear out quicker than the fronts. If the wear indicator is gone I would change them. You pretty much need to lay on your back shining the light up to see the wear indicator groove.

Registered
Sounds a bit early to me but it depends how much you use the rear brakes. They do tend to wear out quicker than the fronts. If the wear indicator is gone I would change them. You pretty much need to lay on your back shining the light up to see the wear indicator groove.
The rear caliper tilts up. Remove the rear bolt.
Couple of bolts holding each front caliper.

Reactions: Thatwasclose

Registered
That's not the groove. The groove is on the disc side of the pad and will disappear when the pad reaches it's minimum thickness. I don't think the rear has a groove.
True, I thought we were looking for the wear indicator on the factory pads. Certainly the grooves in the contact side of the pad will be gone before that wear indicator is reached.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Super confused. Do you go by the wear indicator? If so, then when the pad material is worn down to the inside edge of the wear indicator it means time to replace? See my attached photo. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks a ton馃憤
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Trigger

Registered
The wear groove is clearly evident, when you can examine the entire pad face. As I recall, the wear groove is very deep. The pad is nearly gone, before you get to the bottom, of the wear groove.

If it puts your mind at ease, though, just remove a caliper, and closely examine the pad face (of both pads, on that caliper).

I once ordered a set of pads, for my 鈥07 Wee, thinking it should need them, based on mileage. Turned out it wasn鈥檛 even close鈥

As I recall, the groove is in center, of pad. It鈥檚 a groove that goes completely across the width (not length) of the pads. I doubt you can see it, well, with caliper on bike. I think that photo is of the wrong portion, of the pad, to see the wear groove. As stated above, the groove is on the disc side, of the pad assembly.

Others please correct me, if I鈥檓 wrong鈥

Reactions: Hans471

Registered
I normally buy a spare set of rear pads long before I need them, just to have "in stock". As most will attest, the rears wear out well before the front. How fast they wear really depends on how you ride and use the brakes. Many of us "down shift" and let the engine do the work.
Anyway, with a spare set of rear pads handy its easy to compare the pads on the bike to the new ones in your tool box or where ever. As a general rule I never let pads wear down too far. If they are half used up I will change them. Its cheap insurance and gives you an excuse to pull things apart, clean up, inspect and lube the pins and check the boots. Also a good time to flush the brake fluid. Always a good idea to have those brakes working like new. If you are like me you like to take a good look at all the parts of the machine and keep everything in good order. Much easier to do PM than to break down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, after all of the great info, the photo I took and looking at my original owners manual I have my answer. It says in the manual, 鈥渋f the pads are worn down to the grooved wear limit line then replace them鈥 The photo in my earlier post clearly shows the 鈥済rooved wear limit line鈥 and matches the illustration and description in the manual (see attached). Looks like I have plenty of pad left. Trooper鈥檚鈥ou rock, love solving a problem and you all made it interesting.
Font Book Material property Publication Handwriting

Registered
2006 DL1000
Forgot to highlight it. Here it is again. View attachment 301640
Thanks Locoblanco - This is good information. I knew the fronts had a slot in the center of the pad for a wear indicator but I didn't know about this method for the rear pads. Thanks for posting it. I usually replace pads when they get to 1 -2 mm in order to get as much life from them as possible. This gives me something to eyeball on the rear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts