StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took some time today to clean and service my front brake calipers and when I had the pads out I noticed that one of the pads had some chunks missing from the pad material (See attached pic). These are OEM pads with about 7K miles on them and plenty of life left on the pads but I wanted to know a) what causes this b) is it safe to use? TIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the disc? Any uneven wear?
Discs look fine, wear is even, no scoring, no pulsing, no bluing, etc. I recently got new tires and the rear brake was squeaking after the service so I thought maybe I got oil on the discs/pad and took the opportunity to clean everything (front and rear) and lube the slide pins and found this.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
That is caused by pushing the pads onto the rotor when the gap is a bit smaller than it should be. Could have been done when putting the bike together out of the crate or during a front tire change. Won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is caused by pushing the pads onto the rotor when the gap is a bit smaller than it should be. Could have been done when putting the bike together out of the crate or during a front tire change. Won't hurt anything.
Okay, that makes sense. I'll be more careful with the gap pulling/reinstalling the front wheel or the calipers. Good to know it doesn't need to be replaced. Thanks to all who replied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts