StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2004 DL650 and noticed the brake light stays on constantly. If I use the front brake, there is no change. But if I use the rear brake, it turns off? I'm thinking there is something wrong with the rear brake switch? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like the wires aren't connected correctly. Check the wiring diagram for the foot switch to see if they are correct.

Bubba

·
Registered
279 Posts
Did a quick look at some microfiche online and it looks like it would be next to impossible to miswire the switch. I'm wondering if the previous owner had attempted to install a flash module to the tail light and managed to miswire that. Have you looked under the seat near the tail section to see if there are any extra modules installed?

Bubba

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Disconnect the wires from the rear brake switch. When you touch them together the brake light should come on. When they are apart the brake light should be off. If that works properly you have a bad switch. I don't have the schematic in front of me but assuming that the brake light switch is normally open that should work.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Try moving the rod at the bottom of the switch up and down. The spring connection will allow it. See if you can get the brake light to go out by pushing up on the rod. If you can, an adjustment to the switch height should handle the problem.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The symptoms suggest the foot switch is stuck closed. But it's odd that pressing the brake pedal deactivates the light. According to my schematic, both switches are normally open.

If your hearing isn't too bad, you can hear the switches working. They will "click" both closing and opening.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think the rear brake switch is a wiper. I've never heard it click and over travel may be possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try moving the rod at the bottom of the switch up and down. The spring connection will allow it. See if you can get the brake light to go out by pushing up on the rod. If you can, an adjustment to the switch height should handle the problem.
Thanks for all the responses! The switch height was too high, causing it to be engaged all the time. I discovered if you pull the switch too far, it causes the switch to disengage. So, that's why my brake light would go off when I stepped on the rear brake.

·
Registered
323 Posts
brake switch

Ouch! Graywolf one Ozart well.... Not ..... common for brake switches to go on and then off again especilly Suzuki ...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.
If that was adjusted by the PO I would go over the rest of the bike carefully and inspect for any other signs of his handiwork. If nothing else check the bolt torques for the wheels, calipers etc, all that should be checked once a year anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts