StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F77FEC53-37D4-4133-BD91-8B092EBF9574.jpeg
F77FEC53-37D4-4133-BD91-8B092EBF9574.jpeg
Has anyone installed one of these on a 2019 dl1000 with factory led brake light. If so do you remember the wire Colors?

·
Administrator
6,190 Posts
Can I assume that your unit came with a wiring diagram and that it is the bike wiring that has you confused?
The rear light assembly has three wires. Brown, white/black stripe, and black/white stripe.
The white/black stripe comes from either/both brake light switches.
The black/white stripe is earth return.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put one of those flashers on mine last week, spliced it into the brake light wires and ran it to a couple really bright led lights under the red reflector in my Givi top box. My brake light works as normal, my top box light does the flashing.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I have had a different brand installed for a couple of years....can't remember the brand but it was way more expensive back then(around $40). Works great and keeps me from hacking up anymore wiring.

Edit....I think it was the Kisan Tailblazer. I found a 2 pack on ebay and split it with another member here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1157 bulbs won't work in a newer 'strom, as they have LED tail / brake lights. If you want it to flash, you have to install an LED flasher, which is different from a "normal" flasher.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
So the new bikes don't use any type of bulb/socket for the brake light?

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Hmmmm, proprietary lighting....not sure if I like that, but I reckon it's the future.

·
Registered
889 Posts
1157 bulbs won't work in a newer 'strom, as they have LED tail / brake lights. If you want it to flash, you have to install an LED flasher, which is different from a "normal" flasher.
70bones,
Did you have to remove most of the arse end plastics to get it done?
I bought a plug and play flasher unit with connectors and my manual shows I have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the rear light connector.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, those 4 nuts under the rear cowl are hard to get off and harder to get back on! I started to take them off then changed my mind and spliced into the brake light wires near the connector under the rear of the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
70bones,
Did you have to remove most of the arse end plastics to get it done?
I bought a plug and play flasher unit with connectors and my manual shows I have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the rear light connector.
What kind of connectors? Posi-Taps/Loc's are awesome...quick and easy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those posi-taps would work great. I used solder and heat shrink tube, as that is all I had, and it was a pain as things are so tight there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It is a "used" plug and play from a 2017 650 that I got off Ebay. Someone assembled it using Suzuki connectors. Nice bit of kit but I discovered it requires taking apart the back of the bike:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts