StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did my first long-ish ride of the season, putting about 200 miles on the bike.

I noticed that my brake lever seems to have a fair bit of movement before it starts to bite.

Over the winter, I did my first brake fluid flush on this bike (which I purchased last spring). I also adjusted the brake lever so it's closer to the grip, to better fit my finger length.

Does this sound like a symptom of the brake lever adjustment, or did I perhaps get some air into the system during my flush?

·
Registered
894 Posts
It could be either one or a combination of both. Air in the line will not only put the lever closer to the bars before engaging, it will also feel “spongy”. If the brakes work well and feel solid when applied, it’s probably just the repositioned lever.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds like air in the system to me. The adjustment you did adjusts reach, not free play. Be careful, if you need to do some hard braking, you may run out of lever travel. With the lever closer to the grip to start with, and with the extra travel you described before the brakes grab, you'll likely bottom out against the grip when you need the brakes most. Not good.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
sometimes even when you think you nailed it, there still can be a few bubbles stuck in the brake lines.....Hate to say it, but you'll have to bleed em' again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a Ninjette before my Strom, and when bleeding those brakes, no matter how careful I was with fluid levels, I always managed to get air in the front brake line. If the lever felt spongy, I would GENTLY tap the caliper with a rubber mallet and then would see a few bubbles pop out in the brake fluid reservoir. I never died in a crash after changing the brake fluid, so, it might help your situation and it might not...

·
Registered
32 Posts
i use a Mity vac brake bleeder and sometimes these brakes still need some tapping on the lines to make them perfect. These are the worst brakes to bleed of any bike I've ever had. With that said get some type of a vacuum bleeder and you will never regret it.SOOOOOOOOO much easier and faster.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did my brake bleed I used my vacuum bleeder, but had a hard time getting a good seal on the bleeder valve. I suspect that allows some air in.

Looks like it's time for another attempt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts