StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some brake line work. I will be needing some DOT 4 brake fluid. Can I or should I use fluid from Walmart, Napa, motorcycle supply store, or somewhere else? In other words, is all DOT 4 brake fluid suitable for a DL 650 ABS.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
All DOT 4 is certified therefore the same, and the price is usually not too different.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Motorcycle specific Dot 4 contains a hint of peppermint.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that might be the case, that is why I asked the question. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Just bought some myself, today. I refrained from buying it at several places, opting to wait until I got to the auto store. The idea being they probably have higher turnover, and their's had probably not been sitting around for months, years. Not sure if that really matters, though.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There are some differences between brands. The specification is for the minimum allowable performance, and some brands exceed the minimum. ATE (say ah-tay) is one of the better ones, and there are others. I don't think it makes any difference except racing where brake temperatures are highest and stay high, although long, fast, heavily laden downhills where lots of brake is needed on curves may benefit from superior brake fluid. Some of the fluids that exceed the minimum are unofficially called DOT4+, DOT5.1 is a higher standard, and these offer the higher temperature wet boiling point (3.7% water) performance. (Not to be confused with DOT5 silicone fluid which must never be used in a system not designed for it.)
DOT 5.1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is this DOT business all about:
Standard No. 116; Motor vehicle brake fluids. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I just flushed with some Castrol Dot 3/4 low moisture stuff synthetic. I like the brand so I bought it. It also said specific for ABS system. Oh I believe everything I read. I think it will reduce my stopping distance by 50%. :green_lol:

On the Dot 5. I put it in my Seca 900 years ago. 100k mile changing every 5 years or so and it worked fine. In fact I tried putting back the Dot 3 and the over was softer. This was before I found out I was not supposed to use it. The Wee will not get it because of the ABS and Dot 4 is not as bad on paint as the old Dot 3 paint remover.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I just flushed with some Castrol Dot 3/4 low moisture stuff synthetic.
By the way, all brake fluid is synthetic.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
But its Castrol. I ran 106k on my Seca using the oil then sold the bike so I have a sentamental attraction. Ya know when you do it yourself you can splurg. :yesnod:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts