StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...this is embarrassing, but today I was in a hurry and accidently put brake fluid in my oil reservoir, and rode it before realizing my stupidity (it ran fine). Please help! Is there anything I need to do besides draining and changing the oil and filter? Did I ruin my 2005 DL 650?!

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Experts better than I can answer your "did I ruin my engine" question, but I would change that oil twice.
Then run it.
Can you ride with your fingers crossed?
How much was it anyway?
Good luck.

Reactions: Sierrarider

·
Registered
528 Posts
did u add SOME brake fluid to oil that was already in there, or did you drain the oil and add ALL brake fluid? In the first case, you still had oil, at least, and that diluted any effect brake fluid would have. In the second case... you're ******.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
What oil reservoir? :confused:

I though oil tanks were the province of 2 strokes and old English bikes, e.g., Triumph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't drain the oil first, it just looked low (when level) and I grabbed the wrong thing and poured the brake fluid into the regular oil reservoir...I'm guessing about 6-8 oz. :furious:
Thanks for your advice. I'll drain it, replace it with fresh oil and change the filter, run it and repeat the process. How long do I need to run it for to cycle the new oil in before repeating? Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much over a small amount of brake fluid, just drain the oil, replace the filter and fill with new oil. If you need the bike urgently and can't get a new filter, remove it, drain it and put it back.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good news is since brake fluid is designed to absorb water it may have "improved" the existing oil. Hey, if some folks swear by voodoo methods of adding Kerosene, various commercial products, etc to their oils because their Uncle/Dad/old guy on the corner told them to then a little Dot brake fluid probably won't hurt.

Rick

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I'd do two oil & filter changes just to be sure; run the engine very briefly between changes.

Brake fluid is bad. It will damage rubber parts that are oil resistant but not brake fluid resistant. And, it lubricates very poorly. In a jar, mix some brake fluid and oil. Does it mix or does it separate?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'd do two oil & filter changes just to be sure; run the engine very briefly between changes.

Brake fluid is bad. It will damage rubber parts that are oil resistant but not brake fluid resistant. And, it lubricates very poorly. In a jar, mix some brake fluid and oil. Does it mix or does it separate?
Yes and since the intermit change will be short you can use cheap oil/filter.

With regards to damage besides accelerated wear I'd worry about seals, gaskets and clutch plates.

But IMHO can't be worse than antifreeze in oil, can it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I changed the oil (twice) and filter. The oil looked normal. She's running great as usual. Thanks again for all of the advice. If I run into any problems down the road I'll keep y'all posted. Lesson learned...slow down and check the bottle!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts