StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two recent vintage GM vehicles with DOT 3 brake fluid, and neither one of the owners manuals specify a brake fluid change requirement.

I'm curious as too why, considering the 2 year requirement for the DL650.

Is it the difference between DOT 3 and 4, or something else?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The car needs it too. DOT 3 and 4 both absorb water from the air and need to be flushed every couple of years.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Our Toyotas specified a brake fluid change interval as well. It was either two or four years, can't remember which offhand.

Of course, almost no one ever actually does this, but it is a good idea -- even the best sealed system will pick up contaminants.

I have no idea why GM wouldn't specify a change interval for brake fluid. I suppose we could all make some guesses, though.

Perhaps they consider it a "lifetime" fluid, like the magic "lifetime" transmission fluid used in many cars today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
........and I just checked a friend's 2008 Honda Civic Manual, with nothing specified there either.

Interesting.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I did the bike and car a couple of years ago. In both cases, the rear reservoir was darker.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I never bother with changing brake fluids out on anything unless I am draining them for another reason. But, I never ride in the rain unless it gets me already into my ride. If its raining when I am ready to leave the house, I'll drive or play with something else.

Unless I lived where its VERY humid, love the rain, or spend a lot of time on the coast, I wouldn't bother.

I am a high mileage guy too. Big believer in synthetics and all the stuff that makes the engine tick forever. But brake fluid changes just don't register on my to do list.

Let the bashing begin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm bringing this up because my Strom is 3 years old already, and I rechecked the owners manual and was surprised to see 2 year change on the brake fluid.

I have to admit that I have never changed the fluid on any of my cars, because it was never listed in any of my owner's manuals as a maintenance item. And I never had any problems related to brakes with those vehicles.

So it prompted me to ask why the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I never bother with changing brake fluids out on anything unless I am draining them for another reason. But, I never ride in the rain unless it gets me already into my ride. If its raining when I am ready to leave the house, I'll drive or play with something else.

Unless I lived where its VERY humid, love the rain, or spend a lot of time on the coast, I wouldn't bother.

I am a high mileage guy too. Big believer in synthetics and all the stuff that makes the engine tick forever. But brake fluid changes just don't register on my to do list.

Let the bashing begin.
No bashing, but I think that if you do a flush and bleed you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvement.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
And that improvement would be?

I did not say I do not bleed brakes when necessary only that the fluid doesn't get changed. Currently the fluid in most of my master cylinders looks like the color of honey..... to maybe pancake syrup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just did mine the other day, 2005 with about 11,000 miles, 5,000 of them mine. Bought the bike spring of last year. Fluid was honey colored so I assumed it had never been done.
Looks nice and clear now, but I can't say that I feel a difference in the braking.
Planning on doing the coolant this weekend..
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts