StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting new pads on my calipers and noticed the gaskets around my brake caliper pistons were coming out. View attached. Are these easy to replace? Anyone done this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
I did that on a '73 Honda that had been sitting. Seems I used air pressure to force the pistons out of the body and cleaned everything up. Hold the thing in a thick cloth, the iar can really force the piston out and smack your fingers. Oh, disconnect the brake body from the lines before playing with compressed air.
A kit should be available, hopefully, if you originals are buggered

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You can either buy the seal set for about $11 each or the piston & seal set for about $28 each.

Take them all apart and clean completely in clean brake fluid. Install new seals, and if the pistons have any imperfections where they contact the seals, get new pistons. (Brake cleaner is for cleaning grease off metal brake parts. Brake fluid is recommended for cleaning the parts that will be in contact with brake fluid from the system.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool. Looks very simple and affordable. It also looks like its just the dust seal that is coming out, so I should be ok for a bit. I think when I replace my bike lines I will put in the new seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts