Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to rebuild the calipers on my 08 Wee. Noticed that their is a different rebuild kit for 2004-2007 and 2008-2016 are the same. I decided to purchase a 2006 caliper just for the sake of curiosity and noticed that the the 2004-07 bikes have larger pistons in the caliper while the 2008 and up are smaller. Am I wrong in thinking that the larger ones would offer more stopping power? Wondering why Suzuki switched to calipers with smaller pistons in them from 08 onward. Can anyone shed light on the subject?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Could be something to do with ABS which was introduced as an option somewhere around 2008. Total speculation on my part...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You are probably correct. They also changed the Master Cylinder diameter in sync with the calipers. May be simply standardization (but the VEE kept the same MC, no change and no ABS) so ABS may be the true reason.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The change occurred in the 2007 models. The pistons in the front calipers went from 31mm to 27mm (going off of memory here on the actual sizes). The front master cylinder went from 5/8 to 14mm bore size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts