StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed my GenMar up and back risers. To make things work on my 2007 DL650 ABS I had to install the extended brake line. I bled the brakes from the right side bleeder until no more air came out. After closing the bleeder screw and the master cylinder, the brake lever goes all the way in. I have air in the system some where.

My next move is to bleed from both the right and left bleeders. However, when I disconnected the old brake line, the right side line to the ABS unit also comes off. I must have gotten air into that line. If bleeding from right and left sides does not fix my problem, there may be air in the ABS line. If so, how do I get that air out? I am done for today and I tied off the brake lever in an operated position. I am hoping the air will work its way up to the master cylinder.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Took me 700 mls Brake fluid to get it all out, helps if you have two people, have a tube from the bleed nipple into a container with fluid in it and the end of the tube under the fluid to form an under fluid seal, sorry if I am telling grandma how to suck eggs.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took me 700 mls Brake fluid to get it all out, helps if you have two people, have a tube from the bleed nipple into a container with fluid in it and the end of the tube under the fluid to form an under fluid seal, sorry if I am telling grandma how to suck eggs.
My tubing may be a problem. It is a little bit large and may be letting air back into the system. I will pick up some slightly narrower tubing before I procede.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know what inside diameter the tubing should be for bleeding the front brakes?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You likely have air in the master cylinder. Put a rag under the banjo bolt, crack the bolt so it leaks fluid very slowly, squeeze the lever and look for bubbles, tighten, release the lever. Add more fluid before the master cylinder reservoir runs dry, loosen, squeeze, tighten, release, repeat, repeat. Also try strapping the lever in the braking position overnight. Very small bubbles in the master cylinder will prevent any braking. Another technique is to use screwdrivers to force the brake pads away from the discs and push any air back up into the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You likely have air in the master cylinder. Put a rag under the banjo bolt, crack the bolt so it leaks fluid very slowly, squeeze the lever and look for bubbles, tighten, release the lever. Add more fluid before the master cylinder reservoir runs dry, loosen, squeeze, tighten, release, repeat, repeat. Also try strapping the lever in the braking position overnight. Very small bubbles in the master cylinder will prevent any braking. Another technique is to use screwdrivers to force the brake pads away from the discs and push any air back up into the reservoir.
Thanks PT and I also saw the other thread concerning the same thing.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I strapped the lever for two days and now I have brake presure. Thanks for the tip PT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts