StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 V-Strom DL-1000, love this bike. After some highway rides...interested in a throttle lock. I understand that a lot of V-Stromers are using the.... Go Cruise 2 throttle lock
Instead of modifying the Go Cruise 2 slightly with washers and a larger screw for the hand guards.....wondering if anyone has installed a Brake Away Throttle Lock on a V-Strom with the hand guards? If yes, how good is the setup (any clearance issues?) and is it worth the extra investment? .....Thanks :grin2:

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is no need to mod anything on 2014+ Vees for GoCruise. That only applies to older bikes. Newer handguards have more clearance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had the brake-away on my Strom for 4 years. Works very well for me. I did have to adjust the tension after riding with it for a couple of days, which I think is normal.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Have seen one installed on a Wee and thought they were great, unfortunately they don't work with heated grips. :frown2:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
I had one and really prefer the GoCruise2 -

the Break-Away is finicky to get correct and then moves out of friction and can release suddenly.
I like something I can move by hand without it releasing entirely.

This is the one I like the best but too damn fiddly to get set up and reduces throttle hand space too much. I really like the easy thumb activation but the GoCruise can move from bike to bike in seconds and is inexpensive...The new version is an improvement over the original

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Atlas Throttle lock is the best one I've seen so far. Not tested yet, but I am planning on getting one soon enough. I can't post links on the forum yet, but if you go to atlasthrottlelock dot com you can check it out.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Throttle locks are great if you are riding in very flat area by yourself. Any up or down hills no matter how slight the bike will slow or speed up. I spend more time adjusting them than actually sitting back and relaxing while they hold the throttle. For me they are nice only for about 30 seconds to give the throttle hand a break every now and them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Throttle locks are great if you are riding in very flat area by yourself. Any up or down hills no matter how slight the bike will slow or speed up. I spend more time adjusting them than actually sitting back and relaxing while they hold the throttle. For me they are nice only for about 30 seconds to give the throttle hand a break every now and them.
this is exactly why I went with the crampbuster, tried the go cruise on my 650 and was always adjusting. wind was also a big factor affecting my speed.

crambuster on the hwy works really well and you can place it in a way that isn't in the way when riding in the city or remove it completely

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have just installed the breakaway, its a tight fit due to the mounting for the OEM hand guards.
Have not gone for a ride yet, bike is in bits while i install fog lights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the break away cruise on my 2019 650xt touring which has the hand guards. It was easy to install (cleared guards fine). I went off the video to install seemed easier then the directions. So far has worked great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts