StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this, not sure where else to.

Long story short, I bought a used 2007 DL650 VStrom with about 40,000 miles from a guy on Monday. Yesterday, while I was riding, the bike completely stopped giving me any throttle. After a few minutes, I restarted it, and drove home with no issue.

This morning, I went for two separate hour long rides with absolutely zero issues. However, I pulled it out this afternoon and immediately started noticing loss of acceleration for a second, then regaining it. However, (luckily after I pulled off the highway), I completely lost acceleration again and had to pull off to the side of the road. I wasn’t able to immediately restart the bike, but I was after about 30 seconds. This happened 3 more times on the 10 minute drive home. This time, I was able to take a picture of the screen when it happened.
If anybody has any idea what might be happening, please let me know.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Speedometer Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Hmmm, that might be it. Any option to clean that without taking the bike apart?
Nope! But the good news is you don't have to take the bike apart just remove the tank to access the fuel pump flange on the underside of the fuel tank. I'd also advise against cleaning the fuel filter and just replace with a new one. While you're at it might as well have a new air filter at the ready since you'll have good access to the air box.

Just watch you are on a slippery slope. It's like the guy who wound up rebuilding his boat because a light bulb was out. When he went to replace the bulb, he noticed the socket was corroded so he replaced that. Then realized the wiring was brittle so he replaced than. While doing the wiring he realized there was some rot on the hull, so he stripped, repaired and refinished it. Then he noticed the engine smoked......................

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you know if the the bike has been sitting for over a year and not ridden much? Could be bad fuel. If so, I would siphon out or drain the fuel, replace with new fuel and maybe some injector cleaner and see if you can ride around and burn out the gunk.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Its fifteen years old so you can't rule out anything. Being new to you I would suggest giving it a good going over, especially that fuel tank and filter. Also check things like the spark plugs, etc. On used machines I always like to "do it all" so I have a good baseline to work from. Some TLC goes a long way to make your machine dependable.

Reactions: Stromemanuel

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Start with a fuel flow test, it can tell you a lot.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know if the the bike has been sitting for over a year and not ridden much? Could be bad fuel. If so, I would siphon out or drain the fuel, replace with new fuel and maybe some injector cleaner and see if you can ride around and burn out the gunk.
Yeah, it has actually. It’s been sitting for quite a while. I’ll try draining the fuel before I replace the filters, thank you

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,398 Posts
After sitting unused for a long time it is best to drain the tank, inspect for rust or fuel varnish, and remove and inspect both fuel filters.
Then you will know that the fuel system is good.
Here is a video on how to remove the tank.

And one on the fuel pump/filters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 08 that I bought last year, internal fuel filter was clogged up. I did the bypass and installed an inline filter. It wasn't hard, requires pump disassembly and the drilling of a small hole in a piece of plastic. The filter inside the pump clogs easily and isn't really replaceable. Search the forum, there's a ton of posts on it, I'll help you make sense of it all if you need it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Usually a fuel filter restriction isn't a total blockage, such that you can roll off the throttle slightly and it will continue to run.

The only occasion where I've had it stop running entirely was when I got water in the gas. Was the bike sitting outside? Is there grime on the tank ring? Is the drain clogged?

If the answer to the above is 'yes', you could try for a quick fix with some HEET to absorb and burn the water. If it improves after a tank of gas you could be in the clear, though most bikes will need the bypass eventually.

If not, suspect TPS / ignition issues, a severe flow restriction, or a clogged tank vent (open up the gas cap next time, and if you hear a sucking sound you have an issue).

·
Registered
2020 Orange and White 1050xt
77 Posts
Seeing the time on your bikes clock it could be the dreaded 4:20 Virus…kidding aside, it being used, I’d go slow and methodical over the bike. Make a punch list, noting nice to fix vs need to fix. You have a reliable, safe bike that you’ll be more comfortable working on. You got this.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had an ‘07, 650, several years back. Over time, I replaced TPS and both fuel filters. Ran great, after that, though.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
My Wee is also an '07, and oddly enough I had the same symptoms around 30,000 miles and it WAS the fuel filter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this, not sure where else to.

Long story short, I bought a used 2007 DL650 VStrom with about 40,000 miles from a guy on Monday. Yesterday, while I was riding, the bike completely stopped giving me any throttle. After a few minutes, I restarted it, and drove home with no issue.

This morning, I went for two separate hour long rides with absolutely zero issues. However, I pulled it out this afternoon and immediately started noticing loss of acceleration for a second, then regaining it. However, (luckily after I pulled off the highway), I completely lost acceleration again and had to pull off to the side of the road. I wasn’t able to immediately restart the bike, but I was after about 30 seconds. This happened 3 more times on the 10 minute drive home. This time, I was able to take a picture of the screen when it happened.
If anybody has any idea what might be happening, please let me know.

View attachment 307966
I recommend that you read my rather long blog trying to determine what caused my bike to do exactly what your bike is doing. It will take you through the steps I went through in checking all of the different possible causes of the failure and how I finally found the problem and fixed it. I hope you find my work here helpful to you. I have never had this much trouble finding the cause of a problem before and hope I never do again!

Vic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts