StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting one for a while. And last night I found an 02 with only 6k on it. The bike looks brand new. The guy has already done some sort of motor work evidenced by the two yellow tubes coming out of the side. Said it used to have a slight studded that has now been fixed.

First observations are that I'll probably need tires soon. Other than that I'm worried that the bike has been sitting too long. The fuel has stable in it but I think I will go out and empty the tank first and then give it some new fuel to burn.

It's pouring down rain today. But the tempts are p in the 40-50 range, and there is no way that I can sit by and look at this incredible bike without taking her out. I'll report back later with tons of questions.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I found an 02 with only 6k on it. The bike looks brand new. The guy has already done some sort of motor work evidenced by the two yellow tubes coming out of the side.
Excellent! :thumbup:
Congratulations, and once you get organized please post a few pictures.

·
Registered
818 Posts
congrats! :thumbup: pics soon.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
fuel

you could just siphon 1/4 cup of fuel from bottom of tank-ish and look at it before swapping out the tank load of fuel

·
Registered
705 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Questionable tires in the rain can be a bad combination. Be extra careful. Good tires will stick in rain, cheap hard tires will slip. If the front goes out you go down hard and fast.

Sounds like a good score if the bike is riding ok. That is the first year the bike came out so it does have a few issues that were corrected in later years. The Stator output was one of them. Just be aware of that if you decide to add electrical (heated) gear or extra lights etc.

Exciting times. Enjoy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I wish I had more time to ride mine. I haven't went without a motorcycle since I was roughly 15. But when you have a new one that you're not used to it's hard sitting and looking at it. By the time I get home from work every day even if it is warm it's close to dark so the winter time just sucks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats! I predict you're going to love it...but spring for the new tires soonest. You don't want to bust up your new baby!:thumbup:

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reporting in- I freaking LOVE riding this bike. It's a joy. Lots of power. It's fast. Handles Great and holds the road pretty well.

My current bike was a Harley Davidson FXDX, this is the superwide Sport. There is no comparing the two bikes. They both do their own thing. Pretty sure that I'll need to sell the Harley soon or it may live life in the garage too much.

Questionable tires in the rain can be a bad combination. Be extra careful. Good tires will stick in rain, cheap hard tires will slip. If the front goes out you go down hard and fast.

Sounds like a good score if the bike is riding ok. That is the first year the bike came out so it does have a few issues that were corrected in later years. The Stator output was one of them. Just be aware of that if you decide to add electrical (heated) gear or extra lights etc.

Exciting times. Enjoy.
You are correct and the tires are bad. They are hardened. Original tires.

Thinking about having a 12 volt plug to run a GPS and perhaps an extra set of HID lights. Think the stator can handle that?

I wish I had more time to ride mine. I haven't went without a motorcycle since I was roughly 15. But when you have a new one that you're not used to it's hard sitting and looking at it. By the time I get home from work every day even if it is warm it's close to dark so the winter time just sucks.

Winter SUCKS! It's true. But I don't let it keep me from doing things. I keep my 37' boat operational in case of Indian winter days. And I like to ride any time that I can. But I agree- Winter SUCKS.

Congrats! I predict you're going to love it...but spring for the new tires soonest. You don't want to bust up your new baby!:thumbup:

Dave

Dave, you were spot on. Was riding pretty quickley and I could feel the rear tire was sliding. Then I had one (very short) front tire slide and I about :yikes: !

New tires- What should I get? Guessing that we have lots of choices. This bike will have very light trail duty. I race a DRZ 400 in enduro competitions every year. I know what riding dirt is all about. And this bike is too nice to slam into trees and such. But I may want to cross a creek or ride down a dirt road every now and then.

What type of tires do very well in the rain, can handle very light off road duty and still offer good performance on the road. I see 99% road duty.

Now factor this in... I'll ride her pretty darned fast on the roads. Lots of steep turning, hard braking and stuff like that. So what tire would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
You are correct and the tires are bad. They are hardened. Original tires.

Thinking about having a 12 volt plug to run a GPS and perhaps an extra set of HID lights. Think the stator can handle that?

New tires- What should I get? Guessing that we have lots of choices. This bike will have very light trail duty. I race a DRZ 400 in enduro competitions every year. I know what riding dirt is all about. And this bike is too nice to slam into trees and such. But I may want to cross a creek or ride down a dirt road every now and then.

What type of tires do very well in the rain, can handle very light off road duty and still offer good performance on the road. I see 99% road duty.

Now factor this in... I'll ride her pretty darned fast on the roads. Lots of steep turning, hard braking and stuff like that. So what tire would you recommend?
Yes, a GPS is fine, there's a switched connector sitting on top of the radiator.

The best compromise I found were Pirelli Scorpion Trails, on dry dirt a lot better than anything other compromise tire I'd used and they are pretty good on seal. They hang on very well on the seal and have SOME grip on dirt. Carefull on the water crossings , they don't have any grip on slime.

Pete

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
12volt outlets, cigar lighters, are a good thing. GPS pull little power, just don't leave them on over night. Getting switched power and running a relay to power your accessories is a preferred idea. Eastern Beaver sells some good wiring items.
That connector lead by the radiator is a nice point to run the relay power.
You can order the connector lead from your dealer for a DYI.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, a GPS is fine, there's a switched connector sitting on top of the radiator.

The best compromise I found were Pirelli Scorpion Trails, on dry dirt a lot better than anything other compromise tire I'd used and they are pretty good on seal. They hang on very well on the seal and have SOME grip on dirt. Carefull on the water crossings , they don't have any grip on slime.

Pete

Pete, Are you saying that there are two wires waiting for me to hook into on top of the radiator? That would be nice.

12volt outlets, cigar lighters, are a good thing. GPS pull little power, just don't leave them on over night. Getting switched power and running a relay to power your accessories is a preferred idea. Eastern Beaver sells some good wiring items.
That connector lead by the radiator is a nice point to run the relay power.
You can order the connector lead from your dealer for a DYI.
Guess I need to look at the wiring in place and see what I can do. I'll check out some Eastern Beaver for sure.:yesnod:

·
Registered
831 Posts
What type of tires do very well in the rain, can handle very light off road duty and still offer good performance on the road. I see 99% road duty. Now factor this in... I'll ride her pretty darned fast on the roads. Lots of steep turning, hard braking and stuff like that. So what tire would you recommend?
Michelin Pilot Road 3s, or the Michelin Anakee. I've used both.

PR3:
Available in two flavors: regular and Trail. Both have a stiffer center compound; the latter has a broader surface area.
The PR3 is a street tire that allows for excellent and predictable turn-in. It is good in the rain, with slightly less tread life in comparison with the Anakee 2.

Anakee:
The Anakee 2 is an 80/20 tire that can manage fire roads just fine. It is excellent in the rain. The Anakee 2 provides good turn-in, also. Note that the new Anakee 3 tire has a more street-biased tread design.

If you are going to ride your V-Strom in the vicinity of 9 to 10/10ths on the road, as you claim to want to do here, the regular PR3, or any similar premium brand road tire, will be your best choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts