StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike did not come with an owners manual, so 2 questions:

1. What grade (octane rating) of gas should I use?
2. Is there a place I can download an Owners Manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! You’ll love the bike...ok, so octane, depending on your location, standard 87 octane is fine. You don’t need to run high test gas, unless you like wasting your money:). Owners manual should be easy enough to find, just not sure where to send you. Good luck and happy trails!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have searched online for the manual, found a bunch of free downloads, but cannot tell what years they are for. They mention K4, K7 and K9, but I have no idea what that means? K9 appeared to be Gen 1 which seemed weird. The only pictures I see in them appear to be of the Gen 1 bike styling?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks. I have searched online for the manual, found a bunch of free downloads, but cannot tell what years they are for. They mention K4, K7 and K9, but I have no idea what that means? K9 appeared to be Gen 1 which seemed weird. The only pictures I see in them appear to be of the Gen 1 bike styling?
Your Dl650 would likely be a DL650AL5 for model year 2015. I think A for ABS and L for the decade (generation) after K. A K5 is 2005. I see an AM0 is a 2020!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Congrats! You have the best bike ever made. (Biased. see my signature.)

I’ve systematically tried Regular (85 or 87), mid grade (88 or 89), premium (91 or 93), and non-ethanol premium, and octane has had no measurable effect in performance or mileage over the past 4 years / 47,000 miles on my bike.

In my experience, speed, headwinds, load, altitude and temperature have the biggest effect on mileage and performance in that order. I’ve gotten as low as ~30 mpg (85 mph, fully loaded, into a headwind) and as high as 70 mpg on a steady 45 mph commute with all the lights green on the way to work in the AM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Dl650 would likely be a DL650AL5 for model year 2015. I think A for ABS and L for the decade (generation) after K. A K5 is 2005. I see an AM0 is a 2020!
Thanks, I get it now! (Although I don't know why "K" applies to the Gen 1 bikes? Why not "A"?).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well Suzuki started in 1909. Lets say 1900/(1901?) was decade A. Decade K would be 2000 yes? I just made this up but check my math. Not sure how a Japanese company converts model names/numbers to an English alphabet but they do.

·
Registered
602 Posts
2012 thru 2016 the DL650 were all the same. Very minimal changes in any. So any year manual in that range will work just fine. Same with the service manual I ordered owners manual from Suzuki Publications Fulfillment . Real manual not a pirate. 20 bucks.+ shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts