StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Guelph and doing a bearing replacement. Is there anyone nearby who would loan the 6 point tool for removing the top yoke?

You can email me at brucedwilson at gmail dot com.

Cvbruce

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Or make one from a 1" pipe nipple (if I correctly remember the pipe size). Make it with two tabs. It'll be slightly small, so squeeze it in a vise so it is slightly oval and the tabs fit into the slots on the lock nuts.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
flat head drift and a shot mallet... if you cant get them off that way, they were overtightened....

·
Registered
193 Posts
flat head drift and a shot mallet... if you cant get them off that way, they were overtightened....
That, or a C-wrench (I think that's what they're called...). The things your dad used to adjust spring preload on those ancient twin-shock bikes.

Can you measure the OD of the nut? I have a bunch of different wrench sizes and I'm not too far from you.

Glenn

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yeah, inch-'n-a-quarter, not one inch pipe nipple.

The hammer & drift punch will probably deform the tabs on the lock nuts. On my bike there wasn't room to swing a hook spanner. Maybe cut part of the handle off a hook spanner and hit that with the hammer.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The hammer & drift punch will probably deform the tabs on the lock nuts.
Yes, it will. The metal is fairly soft.

You could probably swing a conventional wrench if you removed the fuel tank.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Anybody know the actual name for that 6 fingered socket thing?
Part number 09940-1 4960
Steering stem nut
wrench socket

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's a pin wrench socket. They are special tools for the right diameter.

Probably the best you could do would be a pin wrench. Spanner = wrench in British English.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Part number 09940-1 4960
Steering stem nut
wrench socket
There are two pieces. From my Ron Ayers invoice:

09940-14911 STEERING NUT SO 1 $57.50 $57.50
09940-14960 SOCKET,STEERING 1 $69.17 $69.17

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a pin wrench socket. They are special tools for the right diameter.

Probably the best you could do would be a pin wrench. Spanner = wrench in British English.
'Pin wrench socket' - thanks. I have a few of the spanners (Canucks are trilingual; both englishes and french :bom_laugh4:) lying around and I offered them to the original poster.

Glenn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts