Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are you using to strap stuff to your bike. I have in the past ried Regular bungee cords but they get stretched out pretty quick. I tried a bungee net but had little luck. I made some straps with 3/4 straping and two square rings and it cinches down tight and doesnt loosen but what a pain in the butt to undue. I am thinking about cam lock straps and I have been looking at the adjustable flat bungee .. but ... what have you gotten that you like?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use 1/4" bungee cord. Various lengths and it stays tight. Although, I try to pack stuff in my soft and hard luggage as much as possible...my tent does not fit.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Bungee-Kayak-Stretch-String/dp/B074P1NJH8/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=78340297069992&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=bungee+cord&qid=1565799352&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I won't use bungee cords with hooks on the end...many people have had some pretty bad eye injuries using this type. And, I can tie a knot.

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use ratchet straps. I really would like for ratchet strap manufacturers to make some scaled down models using 1/4" or 3/8" wide strapping material and small ratchet assemblies.
I have some smallish cheap ratchet straps from harbor freight that I thought about using but the ratchet mech is HUGE. I like to just keep 2 straps attached to the rack .. in case.

I sell craft items so sometimes its box runs to the post office and on weekends it may be inflatable tubes for floating down the river.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Outback guys always use rachet straps so they don't loosen up in rough conditions. I use a 4 strand single hook bungie that is really strongly made

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
ROK straps!!! Easy to use, easily adjustable, and they won't come loose.
Ditto. Got mine in 05 when they just came out. I spend 20-30 days a year on the road and can fully depend on them to stay tight with 2 dry bags stacked. Also now have a pair of the 3/4" for the DRZ.
No hooks, just a loop, so no scratching or hooks to worry about. One of the best $20 spent.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm also a rok-strap fan. They are great for strapping on a tail bag or camping gear, I like that you can cinch them down and the strong bungee section keeps them tight.

I also carry a couple normal bungees and a bungee net in a small crash bar bag.

I like the idea of ratchet straps but they are so bulky that I don't ever use them to just strap stuff to my bike, although I have a bunch and use them for other things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel like I'm missing out now...never had these ROK straps. On cross country camping trips, I use bungee cargo nets to hold down my two dry bags on top of my hard side cases...and my dry 66 liter dry bag sits on top of my passenger seat with it's own straps.

To be fair, I have broken a lot of those plastic hooks on the ends of the cargo nets, but that's from pulling on them way too hard (aka fitting too much junk on my bike under the net).

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Pop down to your local bike dealer and ask service dept for some shipping straps. BMW uses cam locks, Triumph uses some ratchet straps.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Yep, that’s them. They have two different widths that I’m aware of and several different lengths. Cycle Gear carries them also.
BTW, another ROK Strap fan here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Rok straps (to one side luggage rack) are how I carry my Rotopax gas can, given that I've not yet found a good way to use an actual Rotopax mount.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rok Straps were a revelation.

Initially used bungee's which were thoroughly disappointing, with my gear constantly shifting, and of course the constant threat of losing an eye. I'm sure everyone has at some point had a bungee slip and spring back towards them.

Then transitioned to ratchet straps, which while secure, are a minor pain to undo and redo whenever I wanted something out of my luggage.

Rok straps take 5 seconds to clip in and secure. Really is a wonderful product that is worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOve that pic with the Tire on back .. there is another where someone is hauling two. Just happy to see the little beasty can do it!!

anyway .. Alright I bought a pair of the Adjustable Roc straps that go 12" to 42" for boxes, range bag and general smaller lighter wieght stuff and I have these coming for larger stuff. I will probably cut them down to 4' ish and save the rest of the strap for repairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNN7D9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and ... I have Ratchet straps in case I want to haul tires!! :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts