StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, on another forum, I saw someone that had a SMIDSY wreck at 80 km/h on a Husaberg. The thread was complete with pics of the inside of his foot and the remnants of his boot... He was wearing work boots at the time.

I wear my work boots on my V-Strom. :yikes:

Time for some riding boots. Any suggestions?

Current gear is as follows:
-Rev'It Gear2 Pants: 48-Tall
-Rev'It Ignition2 Jacket: 48
-Rev'It Gloves (I believe they're Bomber model. Not entirely sure.)
-HJC RPHA-10 Helmet

Looking for something that I can walk in when I hop off the bike. Maybe light hiking... (Kinda to match the V-Strom; Mostly on road, some light offroad.) Multi-season/weather.

Saw a set of Tourmaster Response 2.0 Boots recently. Any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Vendramini Marathon Steel

They are "EN" certified. SS shin and ankle guards. Made with 2.8mm thick full grain Italian leather. Absolutely waterproof, Outlast Adaptive Membrane. Do some reading on them . I spent months researching before I took the plunge. The are 5 years old and still going strong. I just had them resoled after 5 years. Mauro ordered the soles from Italy for me at $36.00/pr. I can't say too much good about them. They are extremely comfortable right out of the box and still 5 years later. I would buy them all over again if they somehow wore out which I can't see really happening.

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html

Mauro is the original USA importer of these hand made Italian boots. These boots are legendary in Europe.

read this epic thread in Vsri forum: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144802&highlight=Vendramini+boots

My review on that thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144802&highlight=Vendramini&page=59 post # 880

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Those boots above look very interesting.

The EN13634 standards have at least 2 levels. Level 1 is the minimum level for useful protection in a wreck. Level 2 is more protection, but increased weight and loss of comfort.

I have Dainese TRQ-Tour Goretex touring boots. EN13634 Level 1 protection. Pretty comfy, but a bit big in the foot. The problem with these is the slick sole on wet pavement. Check a lot, try on a lot.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
Boots that fit properly are the best kind, but yeah some offer more protection than others for sure.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Can only speak for what I've used, that work for me... My criteria is 1) protection; 2) comfort; 3) price; 4) design (in that order).

After *lots* of different boot trials, my favorites are:
for Cool weather: : 1- S&S Urge Overkill. Insanely comfortable, lots of protection (covers the talus bone like the Response 2.0, but doesn't have laces (I don't recommend laces in a riding boot). They're also waterproof, and can be worn year round.
2- A* SMX-5 comfortable, despite being calf-high. Lots of protection, however, probably better suited to sport bikes, and too warm for summer unless you get the perf version.
Warm weather: S&S Moment of Truth. Same sole, and feel, as the Urge Overkill (also incredibly comfortable). Slightly shorter, easy on/off. You can easily hike in both the Speed and Strength boots.

Oh, and the S&S run a Euro size large, and they're excellent if you have a wider foot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been eyeing the Fly Racing Maverik. I don't own a pair though.

·
Vinegarjoe
64 Posts
boots?

+1 Vendramini Marathons, good protection,long wearing,comfortable to walk in, waterproof until about 3rd day of continuous rain.:thumbup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
My needs are completely waterproof, comfort for walking and protective. I need to be able to wear my boots for long periods in heat and cold.

Sidi canyon goretex meet my needs. They were fine in Florida at high temps and some torrential rain last fall. Fine and importantly dry in the rain this past weekend (40 degrees, lots of rain and even some snow). Seem to be protective although I don't intend to test that aspect :)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm waiting on Aerostich/Sidi Combat Lites, due to be shipped in June. I went to the NJ Pop-Up event last month to check on sizing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have Gaerne G Adventure boots for everyday riding and sometimes wear my Icon Patrol boots in hot weather. My sister used to work at the trauma center in a local hospital and convinced me to loose the work boots for dedicated motorcycle boots after describing some of the injuries she saw.:yikes:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm waiting on Aerostich/Sidi Combat Lites, due to be shipped in June. I went to the NJ Pop-Up event last month to check on sizing.
Call Aerostich and ask them if they have any leftover Sidi full combat boots. I bought some from them at a $100 dollar discount being that they were blemished, that is they had a slight smudge on the side of the inner toe box. Barely noticeable. Anyway, I am finding there is a real break-in period with these boots, but everything I have read they are it. Personally I have worn Alpine Stars and Fly Racing in the past, the Stars were great for riding but not walking around. I usually bring regular foot wear with me so I can shed my riding boots and leave them with the bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the Aerostich Combat Touring boots and love them... with an application of Sno Seal they are as water proof as I need and they are extremely comfortable. Not a lot of protection in the front of the boot so I wear soccer shin guards on the inside which work for me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have the Aerostich Combat Touring boots and love them... with an application of Sno Seal they are as water proof as I need and they are extremely comfortable. Not a lot of protection in the front of the boot so I wear soccer shin guards on the inside which work for me.
I'm sure the "Sno Seal" is fine and probably similar to the product they recommend using on boots as well as their Cordura jackets called Nik Wax.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vendramini Marathon Steel

They are "EN" certified. SS shin and ankle guards. Made with 2.8mm thick full grain Italian leather. Absolutely waterproof, Outlast Adaptive Membrane. Do some reading on them . I spent months researching before I took the plunge. The are 5 years old and still going strong. I just had them resoled after 5 years. Mauro ordered the soles from Italy for me at $36.00/pr. I can't say too much good about them. They are extremely comfortable right out of the box and still 5 years later. I would buy them all over again if they somehow wore out which I can't see really happening.

Welcome to BikerWorldUSA.com - VENDRAMINI Products Page

Mauro is the original USA importer of these hand made Italian boots. These boots are legendary in Europe.

read this epic thread in Vsri forum: I Want A Pair Of Boots, That Do It All !!! - ADVrider

My review on that thread: I Want A Pair Of Boots, That Do It All !!! - Page 59 - ADVrider post # 880

I'll second the Vendramini'. Very nice boot and truly waterproof. Took a vacation with some buddies a couple of years ago, we rode through a lot of rain. My feet were the only ones that stayed warm and dry. The cost was well worth the comfort!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the Black Leather Chippaewa police style engineer boots cover up to the calf for winter and fall to early spring after that I wear above the ankle black leather motorcycle touring boots from Italy I can't by off hand remember the brand name they are packed in my Bag. Other than that I wear my Army Issue combat boots.I just may throw away the combat boots and use the Chippaewas or the tour boots only when riding

·
Registered
21 Posts
I loved my steel-toe pull-on style engineer boots until my last wreck. Without going into detail, my right boot and sock were stripped from my foot before I hit the pavement. I wear Sidi Combat Lites now but I'd like to know what riders choose to wear in near tropical climes like here in Gulf Coast South.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I loved my steel-toe pull-on style engineer boots until my last wreck. Without going into detail, my right boot and sock were stripped from my foot before I hit the pavement. I wear Sidi Combat Lites now but I'd like to know what riders choose to wear in near tropical climes like here in Gulf Coast South.
I wear the full Aerostich Combat Tour boots year round and have no compelling reason to look for anything else. If I get to the point where I have money just burning a hole in my pocked and nothing else demands its attention, I have thought I would like a pair of Sidi Dohas at some point. But, no pressing need given my love of the CTBs.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I wear Forma Adventure boots. Good balance of comfort and protection and after getting caught in heavy rain I can attest they're quite waterproof. Not MX boots, and not road boots. They're a bit the dirt side of road. I can wear mine all day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For waterproof and dirt road needs I wear Astars Scout boots, for the warm weather my girlfriend and I just bought ourselves pairs of the Astars SMX Plus vented boots. I found that the cheaper SMX6 wasnt snug enough or protective enough for my liking. Though considered raceboots Astars offerings arent as restrictive off the bike as the other brands.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sidi Discovery Rain Boots

Just purchased the Sidi's this spring. I bought these over other boots because I am very picky about having a "flat" no heal sole. I find that moving my foot around on the foot pegs is a pain with any type of heals.

So far, 1-extream build quality 2-Pretty warm but with some good socks (under armor boot socks) they wick very well 3-break in is a bit rough because these things are built like a Mack truck 4-Down side I wear a 10.5 and they only have whole sizes so I chose a size larger than I normally would.

They are pricy but the boot is built like you would expect from the price they command.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts