StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what exactly does a boosterplug do.. I looked at the website and what they claim. I've had the ECU replaced on my 2014 and have had no complaints. I am the second owner of the bike. I bought it with 11k on the clock and the first owner never replaced the ECU. He did put an akropovic exhaust on it. I have no complaints, but am not opposed to improving performance if it in no way compromises longevity. If there a reason I should get one. Would it make sense to sell the exhaust for a profit and go back to a stock one? Or should I do nothing? It's a bit rough below 2500 rpm but I twist a little harder in any gear and it fixes itself. Bike has never stalled in any gear except first when I newto it and had a hangover, total user error.... I have put 7k on it this year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's my understanding that the booster plug changes the coolant temp signal to the ECU essentially telling the computer the engine isn't fully warmed up and lets it have a richer mixture.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It fools the mass air flow sensor into thinking it's 20 degrees cooler than it really is so the brain box richens things up a bit. I have one on my K6. It's a resistor. One guy I know put a 5k ohm variable resistor in line instead and that's his hillbilly tuner.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So what exactly does a boosterplug do.. I looked at the website and what they claim. I've had the ECU replaced on my 2014 and have had no complaints. I am the second owner of the bike. I bought it with 11k on the clock and the first owner never replaced the ECU. He did put an akropovic exhaust on it. I have no complaints, but am not opposed to improving performance if it in no way compromises longevity. If there a reason I should get one. Would it make sense to sell the exhaust for a profit and go back to a stock one? Or should I do nothing? It's a bit rough below 2500 rpm but I twist a little harder in any gear and it fixes itself. Bike has never stalled in any gear except first when I newto it and had a hangover, total user error.... I have put 7k on it this year.
As mentioned, it fools the bike's brain into enrichening the mixture. I had one on my BMW F800 to tame a snatchy throttle response due to lean running.
With the new ECU on my nicely running V2 I'm not convinced it'll make any difference at all.
My advice would be to save your money if your bike runs well.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
It fools the mass air flow sensor into thinking it's 20 degrees cooler than it really is so the brain box richens things up a bit. I have one on my K6. It's a resistor. One guy I know put a 5k ohm variable resistor in line instead and that's his hillbilly tuner.

The BoosterPlug is not just a resistor according to them:

"The BoosterPlug is the only Plug and Play device that offers a stabilized enrichment of the mixture in different ambient temperatures.
- To do this, the BoosterPlug is using an extra temperature sensor (and a few other components), that will work in cooperation with the original Air Intake Temperature Sensor."

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
As mentioned, it fools the bike's brain into enrichening the mixture. I had one on my BMW F800 to tame a snatchy throttle response due to lean running.
With the new ECU on my nicely running V2 I'm not convinced it'll make any difference at all.
My advice would be to save your money if your bike runs well.
Just got a 2014 DL1000, has 20,000klm on it (12,00 miles).. How would I know if the ECU was replaced? Was this a recall or technical bulletin?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Karjar,it was termed 2012-2015 DL1000A/AA ECM Service Campaigns 2A74 and 2A75. TL/SV/DL No.66, 10/20/17
take off the bike's seat. Look at the numbers on the ECU label( ECU located between the battery and the seat latch).
If the last 3 letter/numbers are: J10, J11, J20, J21 the ECU needs to be replaced.
If the last 3 letter/numbers are: J12 or J22 the ECU does not need to be replaced.

Affected Models Model Year VIN Range
DL1000A/AAL4 2014 JS1VU51A_E2100025--JS1VU51A_E2102822
DL1000A/AAL5 2015 JS1VU51A_F2100011--JS1VU51A_F2100500

This from the Dealer Service letter I had them print out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Karjar,it was termed 2012-2015 DL1000A/AA ECM Service Campaigns 2A74 and 2A75. TL/SV/DL No.66, 10/20/17
take off the bike's seat. Look at the numbers on the ECU label( ECU located between the battery and the seat latch).
If the last 3 letter/numbers are: J10, J11, J20, J21 the ECU needs to be replaced.
If the last 3 letter/numbers are: J12 or J22 the ECU does not need to be replaced.

Affected Models Model Year VIN Range
DL1000A/AAL4 2014 JS1VU51A_E2100025--JS1VU51A_E2102822
DL1000A/AAL5 2015 JS1VU51A_F2100011--JS1VU51A_F2100500

This from the Dealer Service letter I had them print out.
Thank you very much. Will check it out!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
"Karjar,it was termed 2012-2015 DL1000A/AA ECM Service Campaigns 2A74 and 2A75. TL/SV/DL No.66, 10/20/17."

Sorry, my statement above was a key strike mistake on my part. I should have typed "2014-2015" etc instead.

Big tired fingers + tired brain gets me every time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Checked and my ECU was upgraded..Does the gas tank need to come off to install the BoosterPlug on a 2014 DL1000? Their instructions seem to indicate it does..When I installed one on my R1200GS was easily available behind a side panel..simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Karjar - Yes unfortunately the fuel tank has to be removed to access the Air Intake Sensor connector/plug. What I would be interested to know from those who have installed on 1 2014 DL1000, is where they have placed the Booster Plug sensor, they recommend near steering head or under headlight, has anyone found a better location?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Karjar - Yes unfortunately the fuel tank has to be removed to access the Air Intake Sensor connector/plug. What I would be interested to know from those who have installed on 1 2014 DL1000, is where they have placed the Booster Plug sensor, they recommend near steering head or under headlight, has anyone found a better location?
It comes with a plenty long enough cable to mount it where you like. I mounted mine on the front "neck" of the frame between the triple trees. It is away from the engine heat and is largely protected from the sun and rain. Chances are you will come to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you. Damn. Will have to get out the repair manual. Was hoping it wo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too.... hoping it didn't...that is..........basically just comes to how different bikes are wired and where the air intakes are.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Once you are in there re-check the wiring at the left rear of the throttle body. That is where the original chafed wire recall is located. Make sure they are pulled down and tight so they cant rub against the tank. Its the same location of where the temp sensor plug is located.

Since you are in there, check the air filter as well and see if there is any oil accumulated in the airbox. If yes clean it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts