1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
You will need a thread pitch tool to decide what thread pitch these have. Especially in metric, it is easy to get the correct diameter....and the wrong pitch!. While that is a flange head fastener, a regular fastener with a proper washer under the head will work fine.
The problem is...that metric fasteners are still fairly hard to find in any numbers at most hardware stores. Auto part stores might have them, or a kit with one in it.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Pretty much any hardware store around here has any metric fastener you could need in the plastic cases above the standard stuff. Home depot is the only one that doesn't have much of a selection.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah, I would just pop it out and take it to lowes for comparison. It will obviously be metric, and you can check the nuts section first to find the matching thread. I think those are either 6 or 4mm, I can't remember the pitch.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
Which becomes....a thread pitch gauge!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you have a duplicate bolt, just remove it and take it to the hardware store. Most have what I call a 'fitment board' where you can fit the bolt. When you have a match, the board displays the bolt info. Good Luck :cool:

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all; I'll take a duplicate bolt to a store with me and get something similar!

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you also own a Yamaha dirt bike within the past 17 yrs or so, (or have a buddy who owns), see if you can get lucky and match your fastener up with a Yamaha fastener. Suzuki uses really crappy screws in some places, whereas the Yamaha screws are much better. Taller head height and just overall more sturdy construction, and as a bonus, the Yamaha part usually is less expensive too. A good example of this, are the screws which clamp the front axles on my '18 DL1000XT. Any of you guys who have worked on both brand bikes will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I would agree that the ungraded fasteners are higher quality on my 03 yamaha vs the 04 Suzuki. The suzuki ones are pretty soft.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have a Bolts for the South location in town which supplies a lot of industry. Nice to be able to get just 1 or 2 of pretty much anything you can imagine.

Ace Hardware has pretty decent selection also.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all!

This bolt is replacing the (now lost) the upper triple clamp fork tube pinch bolt.

Does it matter if the material is stainless, or 'generic'?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would not suggest stainless steel. SS is not as strong and has a tendency to seize. Unless corrosion is a concern, use a normal zinc plated high strength steel fastener. And if you do need a SS fastener, try to use a type 316 SS as these are stronger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts