StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I have one bolt rather than two holding the front cowling onto the frame. And that single bolt is loose too. I realized this after putting a new chain on and wanting to ride it round the yard prior to re-checking the chain slack. I cleaned my hands and jumped on the bike (no helmet, no gear) and when I went over some bumpy stuff, I heard a clunking that wasn't familiar. I noticed the instrument panel was moving from the bumps. Off the bike I grabbed the front cowling around the headlights and could replicate the noise by shaking it.

The cowling brace seems to intercept the frame just above the lower steering stem bracket and just below the ignition switch. I attached photos. One shows the open hole where a bolt should be. In the other photo I stuck a piece of red wire through the bolt hole to better show where it is.

I looked in through the shop manual and could not find any info on bolt size. Does any one have any info to identify the bolt that I should buy and put in there?

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
M8x1.25 - 30mm long.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greywolf for the exact dimensions. I can run up to the hardware store and find one later tonight. Not sure where I would find that info if you didn't reply. I looked through the shop manual but where I was reading (I looked at the section about removing all that cowling) it didn't have any bolt size info. Thanks.

·
38,047 Posts
So many people have lost one of those, its size stuck in my mind. I would suggest using medium strength thread locker there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when Greywolf said 30mm, I knew I needed two bolts, not just one for the missing one. The one that was left in there does not come all the way through to the other side. No way could it be 30 mm. So I picked up two at the hardware store that are 30mm. A few of the threads now hang out the other side -- which could be good if they get a bit dirty which would help resist backing out again. Or could put a nut on it as a keeper. The one bolt that was still in there was removed and replaced. It was only 20mm. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

Number 19

BOLT
01550-0820B
The part number is for an M8X20 bolt.

But yeah, a slightly longer bolt and more thread engagement is a good idea here. As GW said, these things have a strange habit of disappearing.

·
38,047 Posts
And my memory goes bzzzt again. Anyhow, I wasn't sure so I said 30 as I knew a little extra wouldn't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts