StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bohn Armour Adventure or Forcefield Pro Pants Experiencess?

I have a really nice pair of Hien Gerick premium leather riding pants that have been hanging in the closet because they don't have knee and hip armor. I have thought about ordering a pair Bohn Armor adventure pants or Forcefield Pro Pants With Sport Armor to wear under the leather. Have any of the "collective" tried these or any equivalent and how did it work out?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
What about just getting motocross armor at least for the knees.
Then there are armored shorts for the hip.

I like knee armor that sits on the knee and cups it and is not attached at all to anything else.

Lots around.

Reactions: om28

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about just getting motocross armor at least for the knees.
Then there are armored shorts for the hip.

I like knee armor that sits on the knee and cups it and is not attached at all to anything else.

Lots around.
Is any of the motocross armor EN certified? So far I haven't seen any.

I may take my leathers to a place I've used before for leather alterations and have pockets sewn the right places. That way I can re-use EN armor from other gear.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I got a couple pair of fabric pants that pocket for padding and repurposed pad from a dead Hein Gericke jacket. Too bad your pants don't have the existing pockets.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Personally I like the Troy Lee knee protectors. Intended for MTB but importantly all day comfortable. Under a set of leather trousers you don't care about abrasion, it's impact resistance and comfort matters most.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have 3 armor combos that I wear under one of 3 riding pants, these include Bull-It & Draggin' riding jeans, and Rev It riding pants.

Bull-It riding jeans with their armor in the knees and hips. My least favorite since the armor doesn't always line up correctly and can move around in an accident.

Motocross knee protectors with armored shorts. The armor stays in place but for some reason I don't use this combo much even though it functions well and isn't uncomfortable. I got this at a Cycle Gear store, very inexpensive.

Bohn armor for knees and hips. I use this all the time, it's my go too armor. It lines up correctly and seems like it will stay in place much better in an accident than armor that's sitting in the pockets of the pants. I've recently taken the armor out of the Rev It pants and now only use the Bohn.

So after 4 years of riding with armor in the pants Bohn is the winner for me. I run it under a Kevlar jean or riding pants.

Reactions: madstrom

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Excellent summary....how warm hot do the Bohn pants get.

I like the fact I can strip off the knee armor when I'm kicking back at a cafe etc.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Excellent summary....how warm hot do the Bohn pants get.

I like the fact I can strip off the knee armor when I'm kicking back at a cafe etc.
The Bohn doesn't add much heat, I have no problem with heat on the bike, I can even walk around in them for a few hours in summer heat. Most of the heat comes from the kevlar jeans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A pair of over pants that are fairly cheap yet do the job well are the bilt stormproof? pants, work great

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Bohn Armor

Well I solved my problem with knee, thigh, hip and coccyx armor. After looking at Bohn Armor for years and putting up with armor that never stayed where I put it, I finally took the plunge and bought a set of "Bohn Bodyguard All-Season Adventure Armored Pants". I called and spoke with them and they were very helpful determining what size to order. 3 days later and they were delivered.

They fit great. Knee pads stay precisely on my knees whether on or off the bike. No fussing or readjusting them once on and they are so comfortable I totally forget I have them on. I pulled all the armor out of all my riding pants replaced with the Bohn Armor. I wish I had done it years ago. I am a happy rider!!!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I have the Bohn Armor that is in the mesh "pants". Untested, but I suspect the way it holds the armor in the correct positions plus the amount of coverage would make this armor perform better than most that is included in other riding gear. With hip, tailbone, thigh, and a long knee/shin protector Bohn has a lot of coverage. I wear mine under some kevlar lined Jeans and Aerostich khaki riding pants.

Even the mesh version is not comfortable in higher temps. Feels VERY sticky. I wish they would use some other fabric, I would use these a lot more.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Even the mesh version is not comfortable in higher temps. Feels VERY sticky. I wish they would use some other fabric, I would use these a lot more.
I don't have much problem with the Bohn pant liner in the heat, but being that I'm in NH and you're in TX, our definition of heat may differ. :wink2:

Reactions: realshelby

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Yes, there may be more than one definition of heat! I might should have written that high humidity were as big a factor as heat. They feel "sticky" to the point of being very uncomfortable. The fabric is mesh, but covers enough that you certainly feel it against you. I have thought about ordering the regular Bohn liner that holds the armor. While likely hotter, I wonder if it would be more comfortable.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been considering Bohns or similar armor solution. Does it need buying one size larger motorcycle pants ?
and work well with more sporty riding positions too (other bikes) ?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have been considering Bohns or similar armor solution. Does it need buying one size larger motorcycle pants ?
They are sized to fit the individual. I called and verified which would fit me the best. I highly recommend calling the them and discus your specific needs. They were very helpful to me. See their on line sizing guide. They will fit under virtually any outerwear.

https://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/sizeguide.php

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I was concerned about the armor fitting under pants so I ordered a "loose fit" kevlar and they are maybe a size too big, I have to wear a belt, so no problem with the armor underneath. I have however worn the Bohn under my normal fitting regular jeans and was surprised at how everything fit, could barely tell I had armor. So I wouldn't go up a size in the jeans.

I think the Bohn would work on a sport bike with more knee bend. The pants come with knee, thigh, hip, and tailbone armor, but all is removable so you can use what you want. The tailbone armor is large and interferes with the back of my (Russell) seat, and the thigh armor makes dropping your drawers to go to the bathroom pretty difficult, so I don't use either. In my experience of unplanned motorcycle dismounts the knees and hips usually take a hit, but I may revisit the tailbone armor this year since it a common impact zone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts