StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on the BMW Rider Training Courses. Has anyone taken or does anyone know someone who has taken one of their courses?

I am planning on riding down to visit my cousin near Greenville SC the end of June. On a whim I called the training center to see if they had any courses scheduled during my visit. Turns out there was only one, a two day Adventure Bike Enduro Skills course. It's pretty much an intro to off road riding.

Needless to say I signed up and am know looking for more information and/or Stromtrooper feedback.

Thanks,
DC

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Looking for feedback on the BMW Rider Training Courses. Has anyone taken or does anyone know someone who has taken one of their courses?

I am planning on riding down to visit my cousin near Greenville SC the end of June. On a whim I called the training center to see if they had any courses scheduled during my visit. Turns out there was only one, a two day Adventure Bike Enduro Skills course. It's pretty much an intro to off road riding.

Needless to say I signed up and am know looking for more information and/or Stromtrooper feedback.

Thanks,
DC
Well, I took two of their free abbreviated dual sport courses given by one of their excellent instructors. By abbreviated I mean that it was not in South Carolina and only lasted one hour (took it two years in a row) and was located at the Color in the Catskills, a Max BMW sponsored event wherein they flew in their instructor (October, Hunter Mountain, NY). They told us about the full course which sounds excellent. In fact the free class promoted their school.

In the abbreviated course they demonstrated two methods for picking up a fallen big bike like the R1200GS or the instructors awesome HP2, we practiced standing up while going through cones in a dirt/gravel parking lot to emphasize balance and Body English, we practiced front braking exercises called threshold braking where you briefly lock up the front brake on the dirt without letting off the gas then release the brake without losing balance. You learn to feel the threshold just before lock-up and learn not to panic if lock-up occurs. Overall, they emphasize standing up off road which only takes a little practice to notice the benefit. Then you go out for a ride to the top of a ski mountain which was fun and allowed you to gas it all you want on the up hill sections. On the steep downhill descent the skills practiced earlier became real assets IMO. Since then, I religiously stand on the pegs off road nearly all the time. In my opinion, the instructor was "pro level" and makes the learning interesting and relevant to riding bigger dual sport bikes.

It should be equally entertaining and instructive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin,

Thanks for the information. Is that your course day that is on You Tube?
Looking forward to the the end of June.

Has summer arrived in upstate NY? I was raised in Geneva and tell people that's why I live in Hawaii.

DC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts