StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done my research and the beamer is for sale. Its a great bike but the riding position kills my knees after about 200 miles. No place to add different pegs. Im also tired of traveling 200 miles to the dealer one way and getting raped. This $19,000 bike sounds like a Harley when shifting and I always have that final drive thing in the back of my mind.
Since Im use to 154 hp I thought the Vee 1000 would be a better choice for me. 95% touring and 5% dirt roads and fire trails, normally two up.
I have been to several dealers with checkbook in hand and no test rides. That is one of the big reasons I got the BMW, but Im over it now.
Im after something plain, simple to work on and bullet proof and I feel the strom is it. Where can you test ride these bikes?
Im new here and Im sure you all get this crap all the time, so forgive me now.

David
Pensacola, Fl

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Look for someone selling their DL1000 for a test. There are a few out there. Check Craiglist. While your at it, test a DL650 too...if you can find one. It will surprise you.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
This may not matter, depending on how you ride, but there's one thing you should know in comparing these two bikes: the V-strom can't cruise at the kind of speeds a K12GT can handle easily. Sure, you can run all day at 100mph, but the front end gets a bit scary at that speed, especially with luggage. Adding a steering stabilizer will help, but the strom is just not designed for high-speed touring at the level of the K-bike.

For everything else though, you'll be glad you made the switch!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
While your at it, test a DL650 too...if you can find one. It will surprise you.
I agree, the 650 is nicely peppy. Having spent time on all three bikes, it's the one I like best overall. But I think if the 154hp is an important part of riding for you, the 650 will probably be too much of a step down.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
You will not be disappointed with less HP on the 1000 as it is not the smooth turbine of a K1200 but the grin factor and ultimate reliability of the twin will make you smile. You get stretch out your legs and get more comfortable than on the K also..

It did not take me but a few minutes to transition back to
a DL1000 after I sold my K1200 Turbine fast But unreliable BMW..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the honest answers. Bike is on E-bay and I hope it sells soon.
The high speed touring has got me two tickets,one more and lights out for 6 months. The tarnished roundel has lost another customer.
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts