StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ScalaRider bluetooth headset. It works in conjunction with my TomTom Rider2.
Is there any 2 way GMRS radio's out there that I can operate thru (or with) my Scala?

Cheers

Rick

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have a ScalaRider bluetooth headset. It works in conjunction with my TomTom Rider2.
Is there any 2 way GMRS radio's out there that I can operate thru (or with) my Scala?
The FRS radio's I've looked at have wired connections for external headsets, and usually have VOX. This is one reason I gave up on bluetooth. It only does some of what you try to do. I eventually went with Autocom and abandoned bluetooth to the helmet.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to get away from having wires going to my helmet. And I already have a BlueTooth Scala Rider headset.

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the Scala BT also. I don't know of any FRS radios with BT, but the Scala headset works great with my cellphone, and that has much more range than any FRS.

Dave

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the Scala BT also. I don't know of any FRS radios with BT, but the Scala headset works great with my cellphone, and that has much more range than any FRS.

Dave
Yes, but for communicating with your riding buddies (we travel all over canada), using the cell would be frightful expensive. Plus, I do believe I read you cant make outgoing calls while on the move.

During very long rides, like from Manitoba to Nova Scotia, there will be times we are several km's apart, so a GMRS with a range of say...30kms would be very handy.

Cheers!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Outside of the wired vs wireless feature, I think I saw 10miles (16km) be the maximum offered for frs/gmrs for the bike to bike products.

I probably did not look far enough...

Handheld frs/gmrs lately are getting better range than that; 15-22 miles (24-35km). I'm not sure how fast the bike to bike system catch on that trend.

If you wear the unit in your jacket (on you) the wire to the helmet becomes a non-issue (can't get hanged on it when dismounting).

My experience (caging around) is the frs/gmrs 10 miles is usually enough. Of course this means plan for a 'if we all lose each other meet back here/there'.

Bring a handheld unit to reach out farther if you need to.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I want to get away from having wires going to my helmet. And I already have a BlueTooth Scala Rider headset.
I wanted to get away from it as well. It is not possible with the hardware available right now, except for bluetooth Chatterbox, which is klunky and hissy, and still depends on wires for some functions.

I've got three Scala Riders in three different helmets. They do GPS and cell phone with no problem. They don't do two way radio, stereo music from anywhere, iPod, satellite radio, and radar detector.

Autocom and Starcom are the full featured wired choices. Pricey, but they do everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts