StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
I am wondering what people are using for in helmet headphones, preferably wireless.
So, what I am after - basically to hear my gps unit instructions.
I have read posts here about Sena units, but I think it is overkill for what I want. I am not looking for an intercom, or to answer phone calls, or even listen to music. Just the ‘turn left here’ from the gps.
Now, that being said, once I get a set, I may use it for music/audio books etc( just trying to be realistic)
To this point I do wear moulded ear plugs when riding, not sure how this will affect things
Thanks in advance
Busted

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The bride and I used BT Interphones for years, cheap and cheerful.

I had the GPS while she used them for music,(we don't talk) they lasted about 8 hours on a charge and worked perfectly for many years.

If you want more than 8 hours try buying a pair they are cheaper that way.

When I purchased one of my Zumo GPS units it came with a free U-clear set up and I have used that for a few years.

I eventually up graded the bride to U-Clear too but they are overkill for what you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Jaybird X3 and they are pretty amazing. Cut out a ton of ambient noise too.

Also use shure in ear monitors se215 wither the Bluetooth receiver for them. Both really good plugs. Highly recommend either for under helmet use though the jaybird sit out further. Sit fine in my Bell mx9, not so comfy in the AGV.

Cheers
Clancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Earbuds

On ebay you can get a bluetooth cable and earbuds from KZ high quality and sound great! $15-20. They block wind noise, listen to music or gps, and I can still hear outside..

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you’re an iPhone user I highly recommend beats Bluetooth earbuds. I used them all last season and very happy. Beats are now owned by apt and use same charging chord. Auto sync and works with gps, calls and music fading out when directions or call come in. Has mic also just like apple earbuds. Cuts wind noise as good as ear plugs and stays on without issue when not wearing a helmet.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-beatsx-wireless-earphones-black/6296103.p?skuId=6296103&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=381&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPNbdV46YS_pXYCDxuGXtmQcP6obnhHKTEBPvXhMLBxQnf5C_0_SPuQaAu_QEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I really like the Fiio BTR3 bluetooth receiver amplifier. It allows me to keep using all my favorite but somewhat obsolete corded earbuds. It sounds great and gets excellent battery life. They are on eBay for $58, but I got mine on Amazon. I just coil up the cord along with the amp and put it in my shirt pocket. It's probably just over half the size of an old school pack of gum. Uses USB C to charge, which suits me just fine. No fiddling with the ubiquitous Micro USB. My iPhone 8 shows battery level by percentage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would suggest just getting a low-end or used model Sena. You can probably pick up a used one on ADV flea market for <$75. I’ve had an original SMH10 now for probably 6 years and it still works great. I use it with foam ear plugs all the time. It’s always on the helmet, so you don’t have to fuss with earphones every time you put the helmet on/off. It’s super easy to clip on/off to charge it or fit the helmet into a top case or whatever.

I barely use it for intercom anymore, but just have some background music on during the commute to work or occasional directions. If you ever do any 2up riding, it’s nice to just tap the button and speak normally, rather than trying to turn and yell to your passenger. Or if you are in an emergency situation, just tap the phone button and say “call so-and-so”.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I have some clones of the Shure Musician headphones I bought on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B4PR2GD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work well and are comfortable, but I recently upgraded to Cardo JBL speakers in the helmet. Works amazing for navi,. I can wear good foam earplugs and still hear quite clearly the turn by turn directions. Also since it is hands free, I can ask to take me to a specialty restaurant, gas station, etc by just saying Hey Google.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
For the past 3 years I have been using relativly cheap neck band wireless Bluetooth earbuds like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Cancelling/dp/B07X45Z1BQ

Replace the rubber earbud tips with the memory foam type which fit better and cut more of the ambient noise. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07KCMWK1Z/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1575344039&sr=8-9

The bright green are easy to spot when they occasionally get puled off with the helmet. I bought two headsets so i can charge one while using the other. The sound is pretty good and the buds are comfortable. When the music is off they work just like earplugs minimizing the wind sounds.

Pick a brand that has big enough buttons to use with gloves. This set up makes 8-10 hrs in the saddle much more fun for me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I like the idea of wireless BT headphones but battery life is not long enough. When I switched to an iPhone that only has a lightning cord port I had to buy a splitter so I could put the phone in the cradle on the handlebars and have the ability to charge and plug in ear buds a the same time. The Apple splitter is huge and does not work with a cradle so I got an after market "dongle" that work for a few weeks but crapped out becasue of all the flapping in the breeze it does when on the bike.

Then a buddy of mine showed me a small BT receiver about the size of a box of matches. It has a 10 hours talk/play battery life with a aux port that I can plug regular ear buds into (I prefer the Skull Candy. heap and reasonable sound)

Now I put the phone in the cradle plug it into the lightning core. Slip in the ear buds then owner the BT receiver n and put it in my pocket. I can work all the controls from the phone screen.

Mpow Bluetooth Receiver, Streambot Mini Bluetooth - $14.99 on Amazon

The knurled round fitting is a male/male adapter that is removable. It is used if you want plug itno you car radio or another other radio with a female aux port

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is what I use

There are some really good suggestions here, but the system I have been using for over two years now is the Fodsports BT-S2. It attaches to your helmet, best if you have full face or modular type, provides interface to my iPhone that provides, GPS turn by turn, Music Source, and telephone. They are available on ebay and Amazon under several brand names just search BT-S2.

The some of the shortcoming is the units inability to send voice commands to the phone, and it has limited ability to interface with similar systems from other brands or charge while using the device.

As a side note, if you helmet is not designed for speaker install with pockets located near you ears, it may need some mods. Also placement of the speakers as close if not lightly touching your ears really helps with the sound quality.

I recently watched a YouTube review of the newer LEXIN LX-B4FM Motorcycle Intercom, available on Amazon for around $76.00 USD fixes many of this issues with the BT-S2 and BT-S3 series devices.

I have been told by multiple people when talking to them via phone while riding at highway speeds they had not idea I was on my bike. The noise cancelling on the included mic is very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keep in mind that the type of helmet and the snugness of the fit can affect what will work for you.

I have a modular helmet and when putting it on I flip up the chin guard and can stretch the ear portion to accommodate the earbuds. With a full-face helmet that's a lot trickier to do and may force you to look for a lower profile product.

I use JayBirds myself, along with custom fitted inserts and I've been quite happy with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 BT-S2 ordered from amazon. Trouble free usage for over a year I have an HJC IS Max II modular helmet with pockets for speakers. Install was a breeze. I don’t always remember my (pinlock) earplugs but can still hear music and directions. Although the iPhone won’t take verbal commands from the unit, I can flip up the modular helmet and give Siri commands if stopped at a light since the phone is in a Ram Mount. Even thought about buying another one for the ski helmet.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I've tried a few solutions. Ones that worked poorly were the Mpow Bluetooth receiver + wired earbuds, and the cheap Sena-knockoff helmet headsets mentioned previously.

I got nowhere near the advertised battery life with the Mpow receiver. It's supposedly 10 hours, but I didn't get anywhere near that in practice. More like 4 hours, on a good day.

The other problem with the Mpow receiver was that it would report 30% battery remaining, then suddenly shut down. So the battery percentage was either flat out being faked, or being estimated very badly.

That happened with both the original Mpow, and its warranty replacement unit. Either I got 2 defective units in a row, or the advertised battery life is BS. Suspect the latter, given the price point.

I gave the Yideng (or Fodsports or whatever other Chinese-brand-of-the-week) BT-S2 headset an honest shot, but it didn't deliver. Highlights: crummy battery life, no ability to recharge while in use, low volume, zero compatibility with other brands (such as a friend's Sena).

That said, the various Sena-knockoffs do have their place. They're OK if you don't ride at highway speeds, don't go on long rides, and don't need to talk to anyone using a different brand of headset.

The BT-S2 clones could be very useful for motorcycle instruction, especially given the price point. That's assuming one BT-S2 will actually connect to another, which I haven't tested.

Since I didn't care for the popular cheapo choices, you might ask, what did I end up with? Cardo Q-Solo.

It isn't the best, but it's a big improvement on the other devices. Volume is adequate (actually audible through earplugs!), controls are easy to use through gloves, it's waterproof, Bluetooth connection is reliable, and battery life is OK - 5-6 hours. The Q-Solo can be charged while in use, which is hugely useful. It makes the battery life mostly unimportant. All around, it's way better than the cheap alternatives.

Q-Solo retails for around $100 but I got mine for $40 through (long story). No intercom function, but I never ride with anyone so that's fine. Phone calls through it work well, though I rarely do that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts