StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a bluetooh reciever that will pair with my nuvi 500 and blackberry curve and will allow earphones to be used. Any one have suggestions? Curt

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The Nuvi 500 does not have BT or a line out, so I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blue tooth

I thought that the 500 did not have bluetooth but the instruction manual that came with my unit says it does and tells how to set it up. Did garmin change something? Sometimes these companies put features in the unit that are not enabled until a latter time. As an example my Ipod touch didnot have working bluetooth until apple released a firmware update. nothing had to be done to the unit other than turn it on. I dont know if this is the case with the 500 but the manual says its there. Curt

·
Registered
69 Posts

Motorola Rokr

Not sure bout ur Nuvi...but i use this adapter...work well with helmet on...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I thought that the 500 did not have bluetooth but the instruction manual that came with my unit says it does and tells how to set it up. Did garmin change something? Sometimes these companies put features in the unit that are not enabled until a latter time. As an example my Ipod touch didnot have working bluetooth until apple released a firmware update. nothing had to be done to the unit other than turn it on. I dont know if this is the case with the 500 but the manual says its there. Curt
The 500 does not have BT, the manual is just generic, very common...they don't always make a specific manual for every single model, would be too costly.

80% of the features on your Nuvi 500 are shared amongst all Nuvi models.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blue tooth

what you are saying is what i thought. The cover for the manual, though is specific for the 500. I really dont like the sound part anyway. It seems distracting. I only got the thing yesterday. it seems to be a low cost way to get a bike oriented unit.. I got it as a refurb from the great internet flea market. Only 150.00. the cheapest watertight unit out there. Curt

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
what you are saying is what i thought. The cover for the manual, though is specific for the 500. I really dont like the sound part anyway. It seems distracting. I only got the thing yesterday. it seems to be a low cost way to get a bike oriented unit.. I got it as a refurb from the great internet flea market. Only 150.00. the cheapest watertight unit out there. Curt
Well, for $150, pretty tough to go wrong.

You may want to share the link where you bought it, if there are more available....people here always looking for deals :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bluetooth "might" be in the Nuvi500/550, but sleeping like it was in the Ipod Touch

I have a Nuvi 550 and accessed the hidden diagnostics menu.
*Do this at your own risk....on the menu page press the battery status and hold for 5-10 seconds.
On the 2nd or 3rd page under bluetooth it says "off".
I did not try to change it in this menu and dont know if it can be.
You can try and report back......:yesnod:

Maybe "off" means its not there....but I would like to think that it would say something like N/A or NO. :fineprint:

BTW look hard at the maps that the 500 uses.

From what I found they are special "one off" maps on that unit that have a truncated 49 state City Nav and a topo lite.
My similar Nuvi 550 runs the regular City Nav maps (same as zumos and other nuvis).

I recently updated my 550 to the latest 2010.4 maps and folks with the 500 dont even have that option.

No one has confirmed if you can even load the regular City Nav maps on it.
I hope I am wrong, but be aware with the 500 you might get stuck with a unit with no or limited map updates in the future.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nuvi

The unit was 149.95 with free shipping it was listed by Geekguys on ebay as a refurbished unit. I just got it Tuesday and it was in a white box but the unit looked like it had never come out of the box and fired up like it was a brand new unit. Curt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bluetooth.

Im not really interested in listening to the voice and I dont think Im going to try the diagnostics menu. Im not that technologically oriented. I looked at the Nuvi 500 online manual and there is a page on the bluetooth though. I think that it is what the doctor ordered for me, possibly not for someone else. Curt

·
Registered
221 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts