StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , the ABS computer has died on the k100 I'm selling :furious: , brakes work fine just no ABS , can i still get a blue slip without it working :confused:.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Probably as most of them wont even start your bike and they definately wont ride it. Is the ABS light on when running?
Make sure you book into a car workshop rather than a motorcycle shop for best results :yesnod:. Steve

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
borders on the ethos doesn't it if a bloke believes he is parting with hard his hard earned for a bike with ABS--:yesnod:
I would never sell a bike saying the abs was working when its not :frown:, have already dropped the price because of it:thumbdown:
Better still has anyone got a ABS computer they want to sell !!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I would never sell a bike saying the abs was working when its not :frown:, have already dropped the price because of it:thumbdown:
Better still has anyone got a ABS computer they want to sell !!!!
Thats fine Ozzy,as long as the buyer is aware as the ABS sensors stand out like dogs--the bloke doing the blue slip may be required to do a brake check and after he extricates himself from the tar he may well say "the ABS is faulty MATE"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks like i didn't make myself clear , will they fail a bike when the abs is not working ,THAT is all Im asking .
20 years ago when i was doing rego checks i would have failed it , but now days they pass things that i wont passed back then !

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Looks like i didn't make myself clear , will they fail a bike when the abs is not working ,THAT is all Im asking .
They should fail it but that does not mean they will.
If it's a safety feature and it's fitted it must work to pass. Think of it this way would they pass a bike with no working back brake or no working headlight?

·
Registered
82 Posts
No brake tests for bikes. No test ride.
As for whether it will pass, my experience is that it will provided all else is up to scratch as they won't check the ABS. Steve

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The bike will [should, by law] fail.

I bought a BMW GS from a major dealer who did their own blue slips.

They fudged it and sold me the bike with the ABS not working.

When I finally figured out it wasn't working I threatened legal action.

It had been pointed out by my workshop that the dealer had broken the law by selling the bike in an unroadworthy condition [if ABS is fitted as standard by the factory it must be working properly to pass roadworthy/blue slip].

The dealership did a big back peddle, although they stuffed me around in the process of trying to get out of it on the cheap- the upshot is they were responsible for replacing a $3000 part.

If the person doing the blue slip check is found to have passed the bike with faults they are up on charges and will be fined or have their testers licence suspended or revoked.

Your two options are- find and fix the problem, or sell the bike unregistered and leave it to the purchaser to resolve the problem [needless to say your selling price will have to reflect the condition of the bike].

Sorry for the bad news, but I speak from actual experience of the exact scenario you are discussing [luckily I was on the right side of the problem].

Edit;
I will pm you a contact number for a bloke who wrecks K's, I got parts off him a few years back for a K100 I owned at the time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
20 years ago when i was doing rego checks i would have failed it , but now days they pass things that i wont passed back then !
Ozzy,I am on your side,tell the prospective buyer the ABS monitor is RS I wouldn't think a stat dec would be required--but the blue slip issue--I purchased a little diahatsu charade some time back for my young lad interstate and they went over it with a fine tooth--dust boot on a CV with a small slit--windscreen repair within X mm of wiper,the buggers cost me a large on minute issues,in hindsight had I not called them a pack of pricks the outcome may have differed.:yesnod:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys:thumbup: , going to make some calls tomorrow , will post update when Ive worked out what im going to do.
Ozzy Strom

·
Registered
37 Posts
The theory is with laws in nsw re blue slips is that if it is on the bike it has to work,however with motorcycles there is no brake test required as the examiner doesnt ride the motorcycle.If there is a light on or anything visual indicating that the abs isnt working i suggest remove it so as doesnt come to the attention of the examiner.Make sure the brake pads and discs are within limits and no movement in the wheel hubs,as an ex nsw rta examiner i hope this helps you get it passed with minimum fuss.Toecutter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The theory is with laws in nsw re blue slips is that if it is on the bike it has to work,however with motorcycles there is no brake test required as the examiner doesnt ride the motorcycle.If there is a light on or anything visual indicating that the abs isnt working i suggest remove it so as doesnt come to the attention of the examiner.Make sure the brake pads and discs are within limits and no movement in the wheel hubs,as an ex nsw rta examiner i hope this helps you get it passed with minimum fuss.Toecutter.
I think you are crossing a line there by suggesting he removes the light, if the examiner misses it that is one thing and it highlights a flaw in the system but deliberate deception puts Ozzy in harms way IMO. Steve

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I think you are crossing a line there by suggesting he removes the light, if the examiner misses it that is one thing and it highlights a flaw in the system but deliberate deception puts Ozzy in harms way IMO. Steve

+1. That is a ridiculous thing to suggest in an open forum especially from somebody who claims to have once been a examiner.
The OP is in enough trouble from simply being silly enough to post this thread in the first place. It gives clear indication that he knows that the bike is unroadworthy prior to sale and that he has intention to possibility dud the sale process if he can by obtaining a blue slip that may not accurately reflect the bikes true status.. This thread could quite easily end up as evidence in a court case at some stage in the future.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1.
The OP is in enough trouble from simply being silly enough to post this thread in the first place. It gives clear indication that he knows that the bike is unroadworthy prior to sale and that he has to possibility dud the sale process if he can by obtaining a blue slip that may not accurately reflect the bikes true status.. This thread could quite easily end up as evidence in a court case at some stage in the future.
TOECUTTER650 thanks BUT no thanks. I do not want to end up in court .
I would never use deception (remove bulb) to get anything pass rego.
I would never sell a bike saying the abs was working when its not .
K1W1 , I have NO intention of using deception to get a blueslip on an unroadworthy bike to dud the sale process :furious: , all i asked was a simple question .
Do you sit at your computer all day putting it on other people. (Posts: 14,828 since Jan 2007)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Kiwi sits on his computer on this forum a lot of the time because he is a moderator for the Australian section of Stromtrooper [a thankless job that mods are often criticised for doing].

His feedback is often valuable when his input is taken as being from an individual member rather than a moderator [hard to separate the two roles at times I would think].

You are on the right track Ozzy, doing the "right thing" is obviously what you are trying to do.

Hopefully someone can come up with a cheap ABS computer that will enable you to sell the bike as a registered and running unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts