StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going this weekend (6/27 and 6/28 ) with my parents and my sister. We're getting on the BRP in Asheville and riding it to Fancy Gap, Va, camping there for the night and riding back to Asheville Sunday. I've only been as far as Mt. Mitchell from Asheville on the BRP before and I'm really looking forward to this trip.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm going this weekend (6/27 and 6/28 ) with my parents and my sister. We're getting on the BRP in Asheville and riding it to Fancy Gap, Va, camping there for the night and riding back to Asheville Sunday. I've only been as far as Mt. Mitchell from Asheville on the BRP before and I'm really looking forward to this trip.
Weather looks like it will be good.
Ride safe, enjoy.
Mike:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm planning to ride from FL to NY (and Nantucket) and back from 9/11/09 through 9/27/09.
I want to ride as much as I can make practical of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm super-eager (and yeah, a little anxious) to get out onto the road and do this trip. It's going to be a solo... But how solo can you be with a cellular phone on your hip?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
There are pelnty of places on the BRP where there's no phone service. There are even more places just off the Parkway without service. Verizon seems to have the best coverage in the area.

BTW, there's a little detour around Boone, currently.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stromin Norman, is the road clear at Mt. Mitchell ?

Have'nt been through there in a while, and hope to make that part of my route to West Virginia. Some of the detours on the BRP have been pretty good over the years though.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Yes, I just rode from Asheville to Hwy 80 (17 mi, North of Mt. Mitchell). There is some construction just south of the visitor's center, but it's two lanes the whole way. The restaurant is still open there. I still have yet to got to the summit, it's always socked in.

September is great for the BRP, the weather is perfect for motorcycling. Traffic is low - it's between the summer hordes and the the autumn leaf-looking masses.

If you tell any cagers, I'll have to break your kneecaps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
LOL! September also happens to be the best time I know of for visiting Nantucket, which is my destination on the ride I'm starting on Friday 9/11/09. My brother has an outdoor shower attached at the rear of his house, and it's a fantastic feeling to take a shower out there with the cool breeze blowing and the bright blue sky above. Azure, you know.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'm planning to ride from FL to NY (and Nantucket) and back from 9/11/09 through 9/27/09.
I want to ride as much as I can make practical of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm super-eager (and yeah, a little anxious) to get out onto the road and do this trip. It's going to be a solo... But how solo can you be with a cellular phone on your hip?
I have family coming up from Florida on friday - in a Chevy.

North of Mt. Mitchell most of the speed limit is 45 MPH, I don't know how practical this is for your itinerary, but you should assume no more than 35-40 mph when budgeting time, if you want to enjoy the view.

The speed limit for Skyline Drive, North of Roanoake, VA is 35 mph.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
159 Posts
THANK YOU for that information, Nroman. That's actually going to be very helpful.

Because my job gives me an extra day off for my birthday, I was able to bridge what would have been a vacation that ended on Thursday 9/24 and had me back to work on Friday 9/25; now I am using my "birthday" on Friday and won't have to be back to work until Monday 9/28!! SUPER-SWEET! So I'll leave on Thursday or Friday and take my time riding back to Florida--and if that means 35 mph (and 60+ mpg!), then so be it!! :p

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
THANK YOU for that information, Nroman. That's actually going to be very helpful.
Happy Birthday, the view at 60 MPG can be very nice.
Be sure to have a full tank when you get on the Parkway, finding gas can sometimes be problematic.

·
Registered
578 Posts
How long??

How long do I need for an end-to-end trip on the BRP (not including Skyline Dr.)? Is two full days enough time for the 460 or so miles? I don't plan on stopping at every point of interest... it's a riding trip first, sight-seeing second.

I'll be going in early October starting on the 5th. Bad timing for crowds, I know, but that's the time I have available. I suppose the sun won't be setting too terribly early, but I do want to be off the road before the deer get too thick in the evenings.

So, I've got a functional window of about 7am-6pm each day, minus a couple hours the first day for an arrival of about noon. Can I make it in two days without stressing about time?

I've got a third day I can use, but I'd like to wake up that third day at the southern end of the parkway somewhere and ride a Deals Gap-Cherohala loop before making the 4 hour drive home to Chapel Hill.

I'm open to any advice! Thanks!

·
0 Posts
Two full days set apart to ride the BRP is more than enough time...no problem!!!

BTD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Whew!

Two full days set apart to ride the BRP is more than enough time...no problem!!!

BTD.
Thanks BTD!

Last time I was there, I went from the 0-180 mile markers and was hurrying to get off the parkway at Meadows Of Dan as the sun set. That fact keeps confusing me though, because I don't remember what time I actually got ON the parkway that day. Either way, perhaps if I can do the same 180-200 miles the first partial day, 250 or so miles the second day should be perfectly comfortable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you were pushed and made a long day and cruise a little over the speed limit you could do it in one day. (mostly 45 mph speed limit and 469 miles) For me the parkway gets a little monotaneous (sp?) after the first day. The first 10 overlooks you stop at are great. the next 10 get a little tougher and the 30 after that I just need something different. There are several great roads the go down from the parkway into towns around including some good gravel stuff. If you have time and don't have your heart set on riding the whole thing I'd recommend taking a few detours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts