StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home from work yesterday down I-40 clipping along at a nice 72 mph and something felt funny. Felt like the bike was losing power. I rolled in some throttle and things got worse. I knew then exactly what it was. I just had to ride the bike to a stop to see which one it was. It was the rear Pirelli Scorpion Sync. With lots of tread left! That's how it always goes though! I was pleased that the Vee came to a stop straight on for the most part. It didn't squirrel very bad at all like some bikes out there. I just got through with the front brake conversion to the 4 pot GSXR calipers and was glad to have them there. Anyway, this one is NOT repairable so I've got a set of Battlewings on the way. We'll see how they run.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad to hear it didn't get to out of control and dump you on the side of the road!!

Dave
Fellow DL1000/GL1800 pilot, but it's MINE - wife has HER VTX!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's a flat. If it was a blowout, the first word of the post would have been Bang

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greywolf...It may have gone BANG! It lost air about that fast. I had my ear plugs in under my full face so I didn't hear much...But I felt It!!

·
38,103 Posts
...something felt funny. Felt like the bike was losing power. I rolled in some throttle.... is not BANG!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
...something felt funny. Felt like the bike was losing power. I rolled in some throttle.... is not BANG!
BANG would have been the sound he heard, the post would have read differently as it would have been placed by a friend, something to the effect of "I have some sad news...".

Semantics aside, good that you are OK. How'd you handle the logistics of getting the bike back to your house?

·
38,103 Posts
Flats can be scary. This is a common story of a flat rear often caused by the front tire running over a nail/screw etc. and flipping it up so it penetrates the rear tire and the steering goes from vague to twichy to wobbly. An actual blowout happens suddenly and the tire is beyond wobbly instantly. The worst is if it happens on front tire since it's the ability to steer that keeps a bike upright and steering a flat front can be very hairy, especially if is a tubed tire on spoked wheels as they lose air in a hurry. For a front to go, the sharp object has to be sticking up rather than lying down and that is pretty rare. How bad was the damage to the tire?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Flats can be scary. This is a common story of a flat rear often caused by the front tire running over a nail/screw etc. and flipping it up so it penetrates the rear tire and the steering goes from vague to twichy to wobbly. An actual blowout happens suddenly and the tire is beyond wobbly instantly. The worst is if it happens on front tire since it's the ability to steer that keeps a bike upright and steering a flat front can be very hairy, especially if is a tubed tire on spoked wheels as they lose air in a hurry. For a front to go, the sharp object has to be sticking up rather than lying down and that is pretty rare. How bad was the damage to the tire?
This happened to a friend of mine this weekend on a KLR. he instantly lost control and ended up going off the road as the rear end tried to swap with the front. That's a blowout. He managed to finally bring it to a stop but had to change his shorts soon thereafter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
had a friend on a VTX1800, riding two up with his wife on the back, plus luggage. These folks are not small people, but the the back tire blew out, and I mean BLEW! The rim actually bent in one place it went down so fast. How he kept that bike up is a mystery to him and me both, the bike was all over the road, back trying to pass the front, etc. Some how he kept it up and got stopped. HIs shorts were very brown and you didn't get downwind after that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blowout...Flat...Rapid loss of air...call it whatever you want....at 70+ mph it don't matter much when you're the guy trying to keep the damn thing on the road. The way I wrote this up it does sounds as if I had a bit of time to assess the situation but in actuality it happened FAST! Rolling on the throttle was just instinctive as it felt that I was losing power. The damage to the tire was a "V" shaped cut about 3/16" long on each leg. Luckily I was only a few miles from the house so my neighbor brought me my truck and trailer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You will love the Battlewings. Mount up easy, and wear very well. Night and day difference over my Trailwings.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
An actual blowout happens suddenly and the tire is beyond wobbly instantly.
you know this from experience or are you guessing :rolleyes:

in my experience, yes, I've had catastauphic failure, 60-65mph mid corner, Rt 60, northern georgia, rear caliper on my SV650 became unattached and centrifical force sent it thru my wheel

what happened, with all the noise, I thought my chain fell off.... I slowed, pulled over to side of road and stopped, called for help on my cell phone

flat tires to not cause accidents, hamfisted panic does

you been watching too many TV shows where they put explosive in the wheel

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
38,103 Posts
I saw and heard one blowout. The definition is a sudden rupture or bursting and that's what happened. It was on a truck tire and I could only extrapolate the effect it would have on a bike because it made the truck fishtail. I was thinking of that when I saw what was making a funny noise on my R90S BMW. A nearly new Conti tire blew a bubble on the sidewall that was rubbing the swingarm. I reduced pressure to a barely manageable level and proceeded slowly to the nearest bike shop.

What does each leg of a tire mean in post #10?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Greywolf; I think he meant each leg of the V shaped rip in the tire.

·
38,103 Posts
Greywolf; I think he meant each leg of the V shaped rip in the tire.
Doh! No wonder I didn't get it.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I saw and heard one blowout. The definition is a sudden rupture or bursting and that's what happened. It was on a truck tire and I could only extrapolate the effect it would have on a bike because it made the truck fishtail. ?
my experience is that the driver made the truck fishtail not the tire

I've lost all the air in cage tires several times with no mishaps or hard time controling the vehicle to a stop, hell, I've had wheels fall completely of and had no problems controling the vehicle to a stop, one time with an old vw beetle, I lost a front wheel and easily controled the vehicle to a stop on 3 wheels and another time in a 1 ton duallie truck, I lost one side of the rear wheels, that was a little tippier but no real problem controling to stop

panic is what does people in

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
953 Posts
A real blowout is when your license plate vibrated loose and you were too dumb/lazy to do regular walkarounds to check for that sort of thing, it gets caught by the tire and flies forward to form a V shaped blade stuck against the swingarm COMPLETELY slicing the tire in half in just a single rotation at 75mph!

But, damn are motorcycles like gyroscopes, don't wanna fall over unless you make them. Just clutch in and drifted to the side lightly squeezing the front. Talk about feeling "funny" though. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts