StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been on a 3000km adventure ride and blew both my fork seals within 300km of the start. Was with five other bikes incl one same as mine and so did the same roads at the same speed and my bike was the only one with issues. My mates all call it the Exxon Valdez! Very hurtful! Has anyone else had this happen and if so, did Suzuki cover it with the warranty? Bike has now done 24,000km.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Sealmate tool first and foremost, odds are you just have sand and grit under your seals.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian, I had not heard of that. Will def give that a go but now have lost so much oil that I need to top up as well.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Thanks Brian, I had not heard of that. Will def give that a go but now have lost so much oil that I need to top up as well.
It works like a charm, my previous WR250R had a leaking fork and I used the seal saver "no more leak". Honest to goodness it is rare for seals to be bad, although dirtbikes being used as dirtbikes and taking a beating, and obviously the age of a bike, can all lead to actual blown seals. Sealmate is easy to use, you can also use a curved piece of film negative or a file folder tab. Watch the below link, I am telling you this works. I always keep my forks super clean, after each ride I check/clean them.

Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only buy sealmate in packs of 12 here so I went down the DIY route and it was quite easy. It does remain untested road wise although I did go for a quick squirt just so I could slam on the brakes to work the suspension up and down a few times. Never too old to learn a thing or two huh?
Thanks Brian.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I recently had a leaking seal in my 15,000km 2012 650, I cut a plastic drink bottle to a suitable shape and cleaned a bit of dirt out of the seal, now its fine. I'll be looking for some fork gaiters soon!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Big B. That's freakin amazing. I can only wonder how many of the people I have know with "blown seals" could have saved themselves the time and expense? Even my Stelvio's seals were replaced on an epic ride (under warranty) and I bet they were just dirty. You can bet you would be hard pressed to find a dealer that said "Well we just cleaned them with the seal tool and there ya go, bud. Fixed. no charge."

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next biggest issue is going to be topping up the oil!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Before there was Seal Mate there was the Feeler Gauge, although if you choose a gauge that was too small you could cut the seal with the sharp edge, I remember my dad doing my bike 45 years ago with a set of feeler gauges.

I have had good results by changing from fork oil to ATF.

About 15 years ago KTM were having a lot of trouble with leaking seals, it turned out they were too tight and the seal was rolling, the problem was fixed by going to looser seals not tighter as they had been moving toward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my first Suzuki. Got my 2014 bike gently used and heavily upgraded from a buddy this past November, in perfect conditions and less than 2,000 miles. After it sat in my garage over the winter, on its center stand, the left front fork developed a leak. Suzuki, even if prodded by two different dealers and even if the bike had 2,100 miles on it, flatly refused to cover the fix, as my bike was already out of its ridiculous short warranty (1-year only, when my Ducatis carry a 2- year warranty and my Kawasaki Concours a 3-year warranty). One of the two dealerships I dealt with kindly suggested Seal Mate and even gave me one to try. I did but no luck. The fork kept on leaking. The other dealership gave me a discount on replacing the seals, but it still came to about $240. DOUBLE SHAME Suzuki, first for its cheap warranty coverage and second for not taking responsibility for a leak fork on a virtually new bike with 2,100 miles!!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This is my first Suzuki. Got my 2014 bike gently used and heavily upgraded from a buddy this past November, in perfect conditions and less than 2,000 miles. After it sat in my garage over the winter, on its center stand, the left front fork developed a leak. Suzuki, even if prodded by two different dealers and even if the bike had 2,100 miles on it, flatly refused to cover the fix, as my bike was already out of its ridiculous short warranty (1-year only, when my Ducatis carry a 2- year warranty and my Kawasaki Concours a 3-year warranty). One of the two dealerships I dealt with kindly suggested Seal Mate and even gave me one to try. I did but no luck. The fork kept on leaking. The other dealership gave me a discount on replacing the seals, but it still came to about $240. DOUBLE SHAME Suzuki, first for its cheap warranty coverage and second for not taking responsibility for a leak fork on a virtually new bike with 2,100 miles!!!
The bike is out of warranty. No shame in that. You bought the bike knowing the length of the warranty. If you don't like it, get another bike. It's a low cost bike with 1970's forks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really? What a nice welcome to this forum for a first-time Suzuki rider! And you do not find a leaking fork after 2,100 odd? In fact, I am already regretting buying this bike.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike is out of warranty. No shame in that. You bought the bike knowing the length of the warranty. If you don't like it, get another bike. It's a low cost bike with 1970's forks.
Really? They had upside down forks with adjustable preload, damping and compression in the 70's?
Really? What a nice welcome to this forum for a first-time Suzuki rider! And you do not find a leaking fork after 2,100 odd? In fact, I am already regretting buying this bike.
When mine went at 21,000km, the first question they asked was if I had been doing wheelies and landing them a bit hard. I have had one problem other than that and had the loom replaced as part of a service recall. I love this bike it is twice the bike my 07 dl000 was. Try searching to see what other brand adventure bikes have had issues or recalls? It might surprise you!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to Stromtroopers.
I hope you get this minor issue sorted so that you can get out and enjoy your bike. Like most of the people here I am really love riding my Vee2.
I've done 15,000 miles on mine with no fork seal weeping and no other concerns, other than the poor paint on the rack which was replaced under warranty. I guess you have just been unlucky with this issue.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Fork Brace on 2014+ DL1000?
Never heard of such a thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts