StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
It seems to be a common mod to do to the Honda VTX V twins but have never seen it for the V strom until now. I can't say what it does for the Honda as I have not done mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used blockoff plates on a Hyosung GV-650 for the Air Injection System; really all it did for mine was eliminate popping through the exhaust but that was carburated; also didn't want the cool air blowing near hot valves.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I wonder if it would give you a more balanced TPS adjustment throughout the RPM range? I have heard of some PAIR rerouting of the vaccum lines in order to get a better linair range at various throttle positions, but this is new to me.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A lot of V-twin cruisers do this after changing to an aftermarket exhaust. Basically what it does is allow you to drop some weight by removing the associated emission control equipment and is supposed to help reduce exhaust popping. With a stock exhaust you still get the pops but they are muffled.

That being said I did this mod on my Warrior and noticed no reduction in exhaust popping whatsoever. IMO setting up your mixture correctly does a much better job and helps keep the air a little cleaner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Removing emission controls.

Better be careful about removing this emissions control crap. Suzuki engineered it into the bike, and it runs just as good with it as it does without it. It costs them money to design and put it on, and they wouldn't do it if they weren't forced to do it.

Pay attention to what's happening in places like Denver, CO. where guys are getting their bar-hoppers impounded for having straight pipes that don't meet "EPA emission standards." There's a stamp on all exhaust systems declaring their compliance to the standard and removing emissions controls is a federal offense. In some cities, bikes are falling under the scrutiny of the clean air man and having to undergo a yearly emissions check just like cars.

Yes, I hate the heavy hand of the gov't just like you do, and yes I live in a city that requires yearly emissions checks. Bikes, lawnmowers, chainsaws...just about anything with a motor is coming under scrutiny and will, at some point, be required to pass a check. It's not worth losing your bike over.

JMHO

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya ronnie. After a ride yesterday i don't need any mods for my bike at all. i have a 45 tooth rear sprocket and stock front and i stayed right with a buell uly (hopped up) and a ducati multistrada 1000 (hopped up ). I was the middle bike and lost the ducati for a few mins. my 07 dl650 is the fast blue one:)

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
has anyone ever heard of this?? may not be legal in all states.
This is a very common mod, just not done much with the strom. And, yes, they are illegal in all 50 states because of Federal emission laws. If you buy one of these kits, they almost always say they are for off highway and/or track use only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts