StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added some automotive type blind spot mirrors to my OEM mirrors. They work great. I have these on every vehicle I own and I think they should be standard equipment on all vehicles.

I drive a Chevy Silverado work truck, extended cab with an 8' bed and a camper shell. Often times when it is fully loaded, there is no side or rear view, it's all mirrors. I couldn't drive without blind spot mirrors and have relied on them for over 25 years of van/truck driving. They've never lied to me, and have saved me from changing lanes into someone multiple times or seeing someone else coming into a lane I'm getting ready to change into. I'm a firm believer in them.

I'm often surprised to see a car sitting there when I thought I had a clear lane to the side.

Relating to motorcycles, I've found the "head check" to the sides to be a distracting and potentially dangerous maneuver. It takes away your concentration from the frontal area for too long and at highway speed it creates an unwelcome change in the airflow as you turn your head that influences how the bikes tracks. I also can't really see that much to the sides during a head turn due to my peripheral vision being cutoff by the helmet visor opening anyway.

I had some small fish eye blind spot mirrors on my BMW, but they were almost useless. I find the fish eye (round) mirrors are not the best. Half of the view taken up by the side of your bike and you, nothing you need see. The other half is limited in view and hard to see.

I find these rectangular mirrors focus almost exclusively on the lane beside and immediately behind you, the blind spot. The Wee mirrors are so big, there is plenty of room for these and still have plenty of longer distance viewing in the regular mirror.

In the picture below you can see my truck in the blind spot mirror, but not quite in the regular mirror. My truck is sitting right about where a vehicle in the adjacent lane would be coming up on my left.

A close up of the mirror itself.

This mod was a whoppng $2.50 for both mirrors. What I like to call "cheap insurance", which I am always in favor of.

What experiences have you had with blind spot mirrors? Good, bad or otherwise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
mirrors

I would say for me the mirrors are fine. Of course the mirrors on my Nortons are "somewhat helpful" at best.
I do find the horn button kind of easy to hit when using turn signals though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've seen those rectangle ones at Autozone. I use the circle ones in the same place and they work really well too. By the time a car is starting to move out of the mirror I can see them in the corner of my eye. I don't supplant the over the shoulder check with these though.

Make sure not to get the anti-glare mirrors. They are a hazy blue and are very hard to see things with.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Tried 'em. Didn't like 'em.

The image in them is too small to see at a quick glance.

Shoulder check is the way I do it, but if they work for you great.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Shoulder check is the way I do it, but if they work for you great.
X2,3,4...

They're fine if you're driving a truck,(which I do, I might add), but I never move left or right in either my cage or my bike without shoulder checking. It's hard enough to try and predict what the cagers are going to do without adding to the problems by creating dangerous situations myself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is a lot more expensive, but I have had Multivex mirrors on 2-3 bikes and really like them. They are cut just like the regular mirror and placed over the original mirror. They are regular on the inside half and convex on the outside half. I have tried the spot types but find it harder to actually use them well, but that is just me. I don't know if the peeps at multivex are making any for the Glee yet. If not I may send them an outline when/if I get a Glee and get a set.

JDP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts