StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Bike week in Lauglin NV on 4/28 and saw one pass me. I would have looked for him in Oatman where he and I were headed but I was with my boss and had to be his support crew. He is 73 yrs and this was the first ride with his 2001 ultra converted to a trike.

Funny turned out helping about 3 other guys with their Hardleys too.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
So how was the big Hoo Hah at Laughlin? See enough chrome and Doo Rags?
Comparatively speaking, you missed a quiet but fun get together the week before at Havasu.
How did your Boss do? Must be a bugger to have to do that for work. Did you get OT for the trip?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Definitely enough chrome and helmet less guys. The police are everywhere there with quite honestly nothing to do. I am sure there are a few loud guys and a few drunkerds but really most of the people are just regular guys trying to look the part of individualism and unbridled freedom. My boss and I just sat there and people watched, he made the remark that its funny to see so many people trying to be individuals in a group.

My boss has been riding since the 50s and he was the founding member of the San Gabriel chapter of the Hell's Angels. He is always quick to point out that in the 50s-60s the Angels were just a bunch of guys who got drunk and never wanted to sober up. But in the 70s they got into drugs and prostitution (the selling end not buying) and that's when he "handed the key to his second and never looked back". He is now getting ready to retire from his self made company with the highest level of civilian security clearance a vendor for the government can have and most of what we make goes directly to space or flight.

The REAL bikers were fine they even liked my Vee, but it was all the "R.U.B.s" (there term Rich Urban Biker) that were jerks.

I have never seen so many support trucks in my life. Heading out the 40 to Laughlin, it seemed like every group of bikes had a truck behind with luggage and more times than not a trailer for the bikes. About an hour away you started seeing trailers pull off and guys getting the bikes out and riding while their wives/chicks drive the truck.:green_lol:

I ended up trailering mine out because of logistics, my boss has a house out there and a 1979 jeep that needed a radiator and a new seat so I hauled out the stuff, tools and my bike. did my chores and then we played around and then hauled back a bunch debris from their property.

It wasn't funny at the time but it is now but, A man and wife road their bikes out to Oatman he on a ultra and her on a sportster. In Oatman they parked in front of where we were sitting. Pretty soon she is freaking out and you can tell something is stuck between the rear fender and the starter on the ultra. so after about 20 min I go over and ask if they need help, keep in mind they were kind of arrogant acting "RUBs", He says no and she says YES! Well turns out he never locks the bags and this time he did because her medication was in there, well the key (separate from the ignition) fell in there and she needed her meds like NOW. So I fish out the good old non adhesive duct tape better know as bailling wire and 2 min later here's your key. She was thankful, he was humbled, and I got to use a line that made the whole trip fun. AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO CALL AAA AND TELL THEM YOU LOCKED YOURSELF OUT OF YOUR BIKE.:green_lol:

All in all the trip was not that surprising. And if I ever add a cruiser back to my list of bikes I would like to go again. The event is geared to that kind of Sunday drive that a cruiser is suited for and if you don't want loud people then don't go down to the strip.

If my boss asks me I will go again, honestly I'm just glad to see him out. about 5 years ago the bike fell over on him and his wife at an off camber intersection where he lost his balance and down it went; he never road it again. I convinced him you cant take your money with you so spend the 16k to do it right convert it to a champion trike and ride your a$$es off till you can't do it any more. So if it means me going to every cruiser event with my boss/mentor/friend well that's what I'll do. So far hes putting about 100-150 miles a month on it. (not bad for 73yrs and still working)

Oh and no OT but I did get a day and 1/2 off of work with pay and all my room and board paid for and believe me they know where the good food is.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Last time I saw a bunch of HD colors running through that area, we were coming back from the Brass monkey sidecar rally in Arizona. I was driving my BMW rig and passed a herd of dorks in vests. my buddy on his Virago was in tow.
Of course the herd of HD's had to chase us down and pass us at some high rate of speed. At the next off ramp they all pull into the gas station for what ever.
I just can't do the pack/herd mentality of the doo rag crowd. Me too wanna bees.
F-em! And they jack the price of motels through the roof. You're luck you boss had the home or it would have cost a bundle to party with the pretenders.
You are a nice guy to help the boss as you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts