StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 Vee that I picked up used and some of the black plastics look a bit faded from use, sun, etc. The Givi trunk had the same pale complection and I used some Tire Wet stuff (kinda an experiment)... the trunk looks like new but is kinda slick and it has only been treated for the past couple weeks.
Long story short... was wondering if anybody knows of a good plastic rejuvenator that won't speed up the demise of the plastic and will help them look better for more than a few minute? I understand that I may need to just pony up for new plastics or just get over my vanity issue... but figures I'd check.
My bike is the grey model... not much black plastic, but enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have been using Turtle Wax F21 on my black pastics. Does a nice job cleaning, and restoring the "blackness". It also leaves behind a non greasy, non sticky film that protects the plastic from UV.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice

TurtleWax Ice is a great product for exactly what you describe. Does not leave residue, does not get slick like Armorall or tire-wet type products, and gives a very natural rejuvenated look. This product also works great on almost any surface of your bike; paint, plastic, metal, whatever.

Here's a thread with some pics:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39325

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Funny, was out with a bud last night, who has an 89 Gixxer....he was showing me his nice shiny black plastic bits, that used to be totally chalked out....he rubbed oil on them, and they looked like new.

I beleive he used a 3 in 1 oil, and a rag, and there was no "sheen" or residue, they just looked like new.

He mentioned something about the plastic being petroleum based when manufactured, and the oil just becoming part of the finish.....first I had heard or seen myself.

He used it on all his black bits, including controls on the bars, signal lights, airbox covers, chainguard, I was quite surprised how well it looked, compared to what it was before, which was total crap.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
FWIW

I was talking to the Givi representative at Bike Week while they were installing my new top case. I mentioned using a plastic protector and he said Givi does not recommend it. He said it "bleeds" the color from the plastic.

Having said that: I've been using Mother's Protectant for years on the side bags and other Vee plastics. I think it looks great, and plan to continue using it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks! I'm impressed with the range of ideas thrown out there... you folks are full of good stuff (and if you're anything like me, that's not all you're full of):mrgreen:
But really... thanks.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
+1 on Turtle Wax Ice. Perfect for everything and especially the various black surfaces. No streaking or slickness and provides an excellent natural-looking restored shine, not fake looking or schmutzy at all. Far better than Armor All or the other tire polishes...pfffft. I'm an old-school hand-rubbed Carnuba wax guy for my vehicles and hate the newfangled greasy polytechnicalfutz liquids but damn, that is some good stuff MAYNARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone know if these products are OK for flat black parts or will they turn them into glossy black parts?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Shooting from the hip here, but typically its only the outer layer thats oxidized, you may try some plastic polish in a hidden area, then one of the above choices and see if it made a difference.

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I clean up the Wee I wipe the Givi bags and the dash and hand protectors down with "Wet and Black" or "Back to Black" even "Armorall". Makes them look new again. They haven't turned white and they still look good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
488 Posts
I sprayed my upper with bed liner. It's not shiny but it looks tough.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Not sure

What do you have against slick and shiny? Use Armor-all or equivalent on my plastic. Most of the spray detailer waxes (Meguier, etc.) also do a nice job. Makes it a bit easier to get the dead bugs off the back of mirrors as well. Apply, let sit a bit, wipe well with a shop towel. Usually not enough residue to trap dust. I imagine Plexus (plastic cleaner) would work just as well, though I usually reserve it for the headlight covers, turn signals, etc. If the shiny part bothers you, some auto parts stores have low-luster Armor-all. Am curious, of those folks advising against Armor-all, why? Other than selling new bags when the old ones start to look ugly. Never seen any color on the rags I use to apply or wipe off. Might need to get some of that 303 for my kayaks, though.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Am curious, of those folks advising against Armor-all, why?
I've heard bad things about armor-all forever. I don't know if any of it's true, but claims include dried out rubber and plastics resulting in cracks, greenhouse effects of magnifing the suns heat on the surface it's applied to, and discolorations. These problems have been attributed to it containing petroleum distilates and not providing any UV protection.

There are also those who say they've never experienced those problems. If any of the above is true, I'd think that the formula would have been corrected by now, but there's still plenty of bashing on the net, especialy in the car and boat forums.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use to use armor-all on the dash of my old CJ-7. I had the jeep since it was in perfect condition and the ritual use of the armor all either failed to protect altogether or harmed the dash... it ended up fading and cracking up pretty bad, despite (or because of) the routine use of the product. This is why I kinda shy away from that stuff. I used the TireWet stuff on the Givi out of getting sick of looking at a chalked out tail bag and only having that on hand. I'll do my best to get some before and after pics of the Givi/TireWet and the 303 on the other plastics...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts