StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Tech gurus,

Today I tried to remove the front-left colored plastic. I easily removed all hex screws and finally ended up with the blastic plastic fastner/rivets.

I tried to take it apart using a screw driver sharp edge, but ended up breaking the black plastic head. Now the narrow portion of the screw is in place.

Where can I get this? i dont want to order the supposed 20cent thingy on ronayers or other such sites and pay a hefty shipping cost.

Can anyone tell me whether the suzuki dealership will have this in stock? if so how much will this cost?

Important: how to remove them and fix them? any easy methodology to oversome breakages ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you broke them off inside I would just push it through, not pull.

Those fasteners work by pushing in on the center witha a small pointed object, like a pen. Then they release the tension and you should be able to grab the edge with your fingernail and pull it out. They are resetable.

I myself would not buy them form Suzuki for the same reasons you stated. But if you go to an auto parts store they usually have something compareable.

K

·
0 Posts
My dealer had them in stock when I looked for some for another bike. To remove them, use a sharp intrument and push the center pin in about 1/4". They will them slide right out. Reset them by removing the pin, inserting the rivit, the reinserting the pin from the head side.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Just had mine out the other day, real slick and re-install with ease. I could build a house with these little buggers.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Yes you have too. My guess is Lordco. Not identical but I am sure they would work well enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody...!

Can you please tell me what it is called? So that i can call my dealers to ask for it.

I will post the procedure step by step so that a newbie can 'learn'

To remove the plastic rivets

1) Use a pointed object to push the centre portion of the head inwards, head of the rivet.

2) The centre pin will slide-in and therefore will release the attached plastics

3) To connect it again, slide the centre pin through the head from the outside and perform a soft hammering [using the plastic portion of a screw driver or equivalent]

Experts: pls correct if nything is wrong.

Lordco: It is in Canada, any USA/Chicago equivalent?

AutoZone ? Is there any motorcycle specialities/ chain stores in USA.

Thanks a lot again..! keep stromming..!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Keep this link for future reference. It can be handy when you need to order parts.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/frames.cfm?man=su&groupid=280&parent=240

Item # 10
Part Number: 09409-07333
Description: CLIP
Source: SUZUKI
Price: $1.07

Item # 12
Part Number: 09409-06314-5PK
Description: CLIP(BLACK) EACH
Price: $1.26

Item # 15

K

·
0 Posts
And there are two different sizes on the Strom, both sizes can be seen under the cowl, above the front fender.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
adv-biker said:
Hi Tech gurus,

Today I tried to remove the front-left colored plastic. I easily removed all hex screws and finally ended up with the blastic plastic fastner/rivets.

I tried to take it apart using a screw driver sharp edge, but ended up breaking the black plastic head. Now the narrow portion of the screw is in place.

Where can I get this? i dont want to order the supposed 20cent thingy on ronayers or other such sites and pay a hefty shipping cost.

Can anyone tell me whether the suzuki dealership will have this in stock? if so how much will this cost?

Important: how to remove them and fix them? any easy methodology to oversome breakages ?
I think the procedure for removal/install has been covered for you so I'll just ask re the broken part. Do you need just 1 part and if so which one (use the # reference)? Might have a spare to send you so you can avoid the Stealership route entirely. :wink:

Stromette

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Adv-biker

Auto zone or any large chain should stock the little plastic pins.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You Go Gal,

Thanks for your offer.

Actually, I need a small 1[item #10] and big 1[ item #12], assuming there are only 2 sizes in plastic rivets.

Item # 10

Item # 12

If you have bought a boxful/packetful of those, I m willing to buy some 5 or 6 from you. I assume that you have bought more than what you require. I can send you a check or cash by mail.

If you have only a few of those, then I just need 2 [1 big + 1 small].

Alternatively, if there is some place where these are available for direct buy, please do let me know and by what name they are called?

Thanks a lot ! [I have PMed you my address]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
adv-biker said:
You Go Gal,

Thanks for your offer.

Actually, I need a small 1[item #10] and big 1[ item #12], assuming there are only 2 sizes in plastic rivets.

Item # 10

Item # 12

If you have bought a boxful/packetful of those, I m willing to buy some 5 or 6 from you. I assume that you have bought more than what you require. I can send you a check or cash by mail.

If you have only a few of those, then I just need 2 [1 big + 1 small].

Alternatively, if there is some place where these are available for direct buy, please do let me know and by what name they are called?

Thanks a lot ! [I have PMed you my address]
Isn't the #10 the bigger than the #12 or do I have things reversed? Let's make sure we're on the same page b/f I send the wrong thing or make things worse for you. (I have a 05 DL1k if that matters). I'm almost certain I have a #12 (the smaller one) I can send. Send me a PM.

It's things like fastners, bolts, etc I think we need to have a group buy and someone who can disperse such at a reasonable cost. I'd volunteer but I'm on the road too often (ahem, water warrior). Paying $8 shipping for a $1 item makes me sick. Dealing w/the stealerships make me sicker.

Stromette

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
AHEM I SAY , AHEM. Actually they would be cheaper States side I am quite sure and also I am quite unreliable for volunteer work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can do it

I think I can volunteer to buy those miscellaneous spares like plastic fastners, nuts, bolts whatever isnt worth what we generally are forced to pay for shipping through internet-spares-salesites.

First, we need to compose a list and the number of people interested in this not-for-profit act of not-for-loss deal among stromtroopers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm SO Looking fwd to such a thing. My local stealership lost my biz on Saturday.

Their first words when I asked for valve shims were "Awe F*ck". They didn't have 'em, didn't know what to order......

I also need a couple plastic rivet thingies......

ChuckS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts