StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
black flys are biting

I fed some of the hungriest blood thirstiest ones near Charleston Lake this morning.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
It's the state bird in most of the Northeast up your way this time of the year. Then come mosquitoes, then deer flies, then green heads, then hopefully a killing frost until it begins again next year. Not much we can do but suck it up before they do :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I saw a documentary years ago about some young folk who were replicating the journey of the original Voyageurs , in huge heavy row/sail boats from out west to Montreal . York boats ?

They had to frequently portage those heavy barges through miles of bush . The scenes of the bugs they had to contend with , while in period dress and no modern repellants , and dragging a ton of rowboat through the northern forest , are what I remember most .

Alex .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sex bugs are getting bad down along the Texas coast if that helps.............

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, I guess I'm in for it soon. I'm heading up through Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for 9 or 10 days starting this Thursday. I've had some bad times with black flies/fly's back in the day when I used to fish in the Spring in Maine.
I think it will be cool enough to wear longs sleeves and pants, etc while off the bike with plenty of Deet and I've got a head net if it gets really bad.
Just really looking forward to travelling. I won't be camping every night, I'll probably stay at motels 3 or 4 times during the trip.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Tsk, tsk!

The plural of "fly" is "flies" - and definitely not "fly's" with an apostrophe which indicates the possessive, e.g., the fly's wings.
Thanks. That fly's bothering me.

Black flies particularly like the tight spots between clothing and skin, like collars, cuffs and hat brims. I'm thinking naked would be better.

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
Location. location. location.
Our Drought has kept the bug population quite low. I can sit on the patio in the evening with my cigar and beverage and not be assaulted by a winged devil.
Maybe my cigars are so bad it keeps them away....like the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Just FYI, wearing a bug jacket and rain pants you will be 100% protected from any biting insects, and no repellent necessary. Be sure you cinch up the jacket at the bottom and wrists and put your socks over the legs of the rain pants. If you put on some latex gloves they will not be able to touch your hands either. I have slept in this setup a few times when on the road, it is very comforting to know you are protected.

The worst bugs are the noseeums that can crawl through normal screen, their bites really hurt.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
Anyone want to trade A mosquito for A fly?
I'll take one of these Mosquitoes.

I saw this one at an aerodrome when I was a schoolboy back in the Sixties and took this pic. When I went back for another pic, it had been used for fire-fighting practice. :furious:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, I guess I'm in for it soon. I'm heading up through Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for 9 or 10 days starting this Thursday. I've had some bad times with black flies/fly's back in the day when I used to fish in the Spring in Maine.
I think it will be cool enough to wear longs sleeves and pants, etc while off the bike with plenty of Deet and I've got a head net if it gets really bad.
Just really looking forward to travelling. I won't be camping every night, I'll probably stay at motels 3 or 4 times during the trip.
Please feed them well so they won't be hungry when I get there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts