StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the front tire of my '08 Wee. This wear developed over the course of a several thousand mile trip. There was a little bit of evidence of oil leaking from one front fork, so I'm replacing the seals (my attempts to clean out dirt from the seals didn't find anything). I have no idea how old the fork oil is.

I've never seen anything like it -- each tread block is worn at the trailing side, but much thicker on the leading edge. It's the same all the way around the tire.

Secondary question: how dangerous is this?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
That front is done, looks like a bad belt or something.

Reactions: BrianS

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Air pressure is often the cause of weird tire wear. The lack of any cornering is evident too. You still have all the sprues on the outer tread block.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Suspect that the leaking fork may have contributed....toast tire!

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you didn't feel much while running it has got to be a bad tire like Big B said. Take it to a tire shop (any) and see what they say. They probably have seen similar distortion / wear.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
A blocky tread like that tends to wear unevenly on pavement. Might still be ok for dirt or low speed pavement, but higher speeds, like 50mph+, could result in a dangerous wobble.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Were you riding in high crosswinds?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have a think about it again. That worn edge is the one that first makes contact with the road as the wheel turns. As such it will wear first on that side and especially under braking, hard or gentle. Just had a look at the knobs on my 250 trail bike and they are wearing exactly on the same edge which is not actually the trailing side if you were to look at the contact patch from below, which of course You will have to simulate in your head.

·
Registered
661 Posts
you also asked how dangerous is this? In perfect world, not too bad. You have less rubber on the road so you will have less traction, so you will have less stopping or turning capability. When I was a teenager I reversed such a tire and kept on riding. that was a loong time ago, round tires had just been invented.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The image also suggests cupping, which could involve a suspension issue. If it is not suspension, the it must be the tire.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I agree, normal wear for front tire block tread on pavement
Yep, that's perfectly normal wear for a blocky/knobby-ish tread ridden on pavement.

Shocking if you're not used to the weird way knobbies wear on pavement.

Replace and ride happy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
^^^Yup, what they said.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Typical wear for a Shinko 705

Reactions: mikrovision
1 - 20 of 39 Posts