StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about the forks and/or crashbars. If I go the fork route I'll just drill a hole in the reflector for the wire and stick them on the reflector. the crash bar will take some creative engineering. I want them as far from the headlights as practical, and these look like you could mount them anywhere. I haven't ruled inside the faring behind the "grills" at the bottom outside edges. Some have even mounted them on the handguards.They also make a module that makes the lights pulse or "twinkle" that I liked but I'm trying to keep the price reasonable. I e-mailed them last night and got a reply in less than 5 min. I'll post pic's when I'm done. These are for being seen only, not driving lights. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I agree with having some distance from the headlights is a good idea, on the forks by the reflectors sounds good, but the handguard idea would look cool, tie them into your turn signals, maybe use the ground from the turn signals, and they would be on solid, but wig-wag with the turn signals when they were active. Seems to me I remember someone else doing something like that with led's on the mufflers.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The ST list had a big group buy on these lights, I bought two sets one for the ST and the DL, I mounted them on the ST and am still looking for a place to put them on the DL... I also bought some Pod Mods in the deal that make the Pods FLICKER, not go off and on but FLICKER,, Way cool... Also because we ordered a bunch of the lights the cost was only 22.00 a pair....
Here is a picture of them mounted on the ST...
They are the upper LEDs

·
Registered
22 Posts

I installed two sets of BikVis bullets plus the PodMod modulator. One set of bullets is mounted on hand guards and the others are mounted on the front fender bolts down by the reflectors. I also added some LED running lights on the turn signals. I really like the setup and it might be just my imagination, but the seem to really do a good job of getting the bike noticed by other drivers. I give the BikVis bullets a big thumbs up!:thumbup:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SWuZffRquBm0Z1Gm8K-BTw?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmisuqJ6s6jgwE&feat=directlink

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got two sets on (though no modulator). Not sure how much cagers see but it looks like useful extra visibility. I'll take a pic...

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Cool I like them in the hand guards, I have some LEDs in my KLR 650 hand guards . I do not know why i did not think of it on the DL...
I think the more light up front the better to ward off the brain dead cagers.
Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
just what I need...

I had one of those brain dead cagers (skirt on a cell phone) pull out in front of me last week on my way to work, she never stopped at the stop sign just came right thru. At that point I realized I needed more lights as well as a louder horn, the little beep-beep, did nothing to get her attention.:headbang:

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I picked up this little strip of LEDs at the auto store... Not near as bright as the Pods, but it looks different

Its a sloppy install, but its a KLR and I had extra hand guards to install, but these look good to me..

·
Registered
134 Posts
JayD

Just ordered a set myself, how did you mount them to the fender bolts? just stick them on, or is there some sort of mounting plate.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got them mounted!!! Had to wait a week to get them from the posr office. I ended up using the hex shapped pieces that the reflectors screw into. I went to Lowes and bought a piece of alum angle 1/2" x 3/4" and sawed it off (2 pieces)about 1" long.The lights will go on the 3/4" wide side. Then using the template that came with the lights I drilled a 3/16 hole to run the wire through. I also bought a couple of small rubber gromets and drilled a hole to run the wires. I bought two stainless socket head cap screws at ACE hardware to mount the angle to the stock reflector "base". they are 5mm screws. I put the wires in a loom and ran them up next to my brake lines, and just used two spade connectors to plug into my extra headlight socket on the lowbeam side, so no wires were cut. I had this open socket left over from using a Eastern Beaver dual headlight relay kit. I used a level to get the lights even with the road, and angled them out just a little bit when I stuck them on my angle plate. I did paint the bracket black and took pictures. but it's getting to dark to see much detail, I'll try again in the sunlight later. So far they look pretty good with a blue tint to them which catches your eye. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
541 Posts
Got them mounted!!! Had to wait a week to get them from the posr office. I ended up using the hex shapped pieces that the reflectors screw into. I went to Lowes and bought a piece of alum angle 1/2" x 3/4" and sawed it off (2 pieces)about 1" long.The lights will go on the 3/4" wide side. Then using the template that came with the lights I drilled a 3/16 hole to run the wire through. I also bought a couple of small rubber gromets and drilled a hole to run the wires. I bought two stainless socket head cap screws at ACE hardware to mount the angle to the stock reflector "base". they are 5mm screws. I put the wires in a loom and ran them up next to my brake lines, and just used two spade connectors to plug into my extra headlight socket on the lowbeam side, so no wires were cut. I had this open socket left over from using a Eastern Beaver dual headlight relay kit. I used a level to get the lights even with the road, and angled them out just a little bit when I stuck them on my angle plate. I did paint the bracket black and took pictures. but it's getting to dark to see much detail, I'll try again in the sunlight later. So far they look pretty good with a blue tint to them which catches your eye. Cheers--BB
:worthless:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts