StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I really love to ride bikes but the problem is I have sensitive ears that are prone to tinnitus. Just bought a pair of noise reduction ear plugs/ear piece and they do not fit well in my ears. I'm planning to get new ones but I'm torn between these two brands: Big Ear Inc. and PinLock.

First one is a company that offers customized ear protection and the second one had good reviews online. The thing is...I think I have an uneven ear canal and I'm not sure if a pair of generic plugs would be very useful. I just hope you can help me decide what to buy.

P.S. I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
My suggestion would be pay a visit to the local audiologist to see what they can do to help with your situation. Most likely they will custom it you with ear plugs. And who know if you have insurance it might cover or at least partially cover the cost??

Also if you settle on disposable ear plugs, dispose of them at least daily. Disposable ear plugs are just that. Do not reuse them day after day.

If you get custom or reusable ear plugs at the end of each day they need to washed with a mild soap and then dried before putting back in a sealed case.

With disposable or reusable the idea of either using new or washing is to cut down on bacteria that you are shoving into your ear canal. So many times I see guys take ear plugs out of their ears then straight into a sealed container and into he nice dark warm tank bag for biological experiment to grow. Then when the reinstall the ear plugs they give them a good lick to lube them up. Now you have a combo of freshly blossomed ear canal bacteria with a application of Miracle Grow (bacteria laden saliva) to jam into a mice dark, warm and moist ear canal that acts like a Petri dish.

I also suggest you regularly wash any ear plug case or use fresh zip top bags everyday to house them when not in use.

A few seconds per day for proper ear plug maintenance can make all the difference in having or not having a nasty ear infection.

This go for the earbud wearing public as well. At the end of the day you really should clean them with a some sort of antibacterial wipe to keep germs at bay.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
You might try the Big Ears, but for custom molded those are quite expensivebeing North of $100.

I have tinnitus too(power tools, firearms and motorcycles have taken their toll) and when working on the range used custom molded plugs. It's been years and I can't remember the company name but they still live in my range bag.

What I have found is that the disposable type are just about as good as the custom jobs. Many times on the indoor range at work we had to double up, custom in first, then ear muff type over that. Outdoors the custom were sufficient.

Google "custom molded ear plugs" and you will find several in the $25-50 range.....i would experiment with the cheaper style first to see if they suit you.
The most comfortable ones are going to be the ones you wear regardless of price.

Even though it is not recommended for tinnitus sufferers, I wear a Bluetooth headset with the foam type earbuds(not the rubber ones). I listen to a lot of music when riding, but do keep the sound level low. Over the years I have not noticed the tinnitus getting worse and still have my symphony of Cicadas singing in my head every day all day....good thing I like the song of the Cicada;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have bad Tinnitus and have yet to find ear plugs that provide much help. A good wind screen and disposables are the best for me so far. Good luck and let me know what works for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have bad Tinnitus and have yet to find ear plugs that provide much help. A good wind screen and disposables are the best for me so far. Good luck and let me know what works for you.
Very similar here; I've had severe tinnitus for 40yrs; guns, power tools, loud amps.

I've learned to live with it, wife got me to go to an audiologist 30 yrs ago, and about every 10 yrs, and nothing's to be done.

My ears ring with earplugs anyway. Earplugs only keep out ambient noise so the ringing is more "upfront" and clear!!

But in ear bluetooth headsets work fine, although louder is better.

I recently purchased Cardo Packtalk Bold, am tweaking that in my Sedici helmut.

Hang in there, you'll find what works for you!

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
I've got a set of Big Ears and another brand I forget. The forget reaches deeper into the ear canal and is comfortable and actually easier to install than the Big E.
It also does not come out of the ear as far as the Big E. So it's comfortable for using when sleeping in a mob area, like camping with snorers.
The Big E is a stubby arrangement. Both work equally well when finally inserted. Gotta use a lube or give yourself a Wet Willy to insert them into the ear canal. Gotta wet the ear and glob some spit on the plug too. They insert with a rotating motion.
They can fall out of the ear and go dancing across the ground when you take off the helmet too. Especially the Big E.
I paid less that $100 for either pair but if you want other than the basic plug it will go up in price. Like having it work with Blue Tooth.
Your local audiologist will charge maybe 2-3 time as much. I was appalled at what they quoted for my wife's hearing aid adapter.
I got mine at BMW rallies from a wandering Ear Plug guy. If someone has a shop in town, the cost may be higher.
Just checked. There are scads of Big E dealers around the country. The basic Ear plug is $85.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made my own earplugs from EasyMold, a silicone product from Michael's craft store. You mix the two types of silicone together, knead it very well, ball it up and gently push it into your ears making sure to get it enough into the canal. Leave it there for a while (I forget how long, it's in the directions) and then you've got "custom" ear plugs. I put a little smear of vasoline on them and they work well. If you screw up, you can try probably 30 times for under $25. I got this trick from RCinNC (I think that's their user name here).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lots of great tips on the ear plugs - Very good to know. I too have suffered from ringing in the ears. Years of commercial
construction work, Carpentry, Loud engines, Loud bikes, You know the drill - Loud music too. All have the big bugs singing in my head
too. I heard that this stuff called Lipoflavinoid was supposed to help with this, Have any of you tried this ?

I also wear a disposible 32 DB noise reduction foam ear plug. They were like $12 for 50 pairs. they work real good and keep the road noise
to an extreme minimum, wind noise too .

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I also wear a disposible 32 DB noise reduction foam ear plug. They were like $12 for 50 pairs. they work real good and keep the road noise
to an extreme minimum, wind noise too .
exactly 0:)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I prefer this type of ear plug.

A small drop of baby oil helps me insert them without any trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
I made my own earplugs from EasyMold, a silicone product from Michael's craft store. You mix the two types of silicone together, knead it very well, ball it up and gently push it into your ears making sure to get it enough into the canal. Leave it there for a while (I forget how long, it's in the directions) and then you've got "custom" ear plugs. I put a little smear of vasoline on them and they work well. If you screw up, you can try probably 30 times for under $25. I got this trick from RCinNC (I think that's their user name here).

If you go this route put the mixture into a very small jar and duct tape your shop vac to the top. Turn it on and you should get air bubbles out of the mixture. You are degassing it. Turn the vac off every 10 seconds or so and then back on until the bubbles are minimal. Then mold it into your ear.
You will have a far more effective end product.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Similar problem as the OP, tinnitus etc., tried lots of plugs and windscreens, finally settled on custom molded plugs as the ‘best’ option for me and the strom.
Still unsatisfied though, I purchased a $17,000 solution, slightly used BMW RT. Wind noise is now so little that I hardly need plugs. No ears ringing all night long after long days in the saddle.
Really, that was 90% of the reason for switching bikes.

Reactions: Skew and Spec

·
Registered
545 Posts
The ones I wear are called Flents. I can twist them before insertion in the ear and they expand to block off the canal.
You can hear for a few seconds and then all of a sudden your one with the machine. It almost feels like
riding an electric motorcycle.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
" EasyMold"

It's been a while but I seem to remember the tech that did the mold put a bit of gauze in my ear canal to keep the silicone from going to the drum.
When it was set they used a dremel to grind it down for a smooth end.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I did this as well! They work great for the bike and for work (although I don't have tinnitus). Worth a try before you spend big money on an audiologist.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use Moldex disposables. I've tried three different brands of the flanged reusable plugs, but haven't found anything reusable that works for me as well as the Moldex ones. Howard Leight Max are the same for me as well, just depends which I can get cheaper. I figured this out with the sampler pack that Spec posted.

I work in an environment with hazardous noise that requires double hearing protection. A few years back we had the opportunity to get custom earmolds made for free (to us). The process involved a physiologist pouring some stuff in your ear until it pretty much touched your brain, then sitting there for a while while it hardened. Then, that got sent off somewhere and was used to make the custom earmolds -- think plugs, but they fill some of the external part of the ear as well as the canal. Of the guys that got them, it was about 50/50 whether they loved them or couldn't stand them and went back to foamies.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I like the Howard Leight LL-1 Laser Lite Disposable Uncorded Foam Earplugs. You can get them in individual packed 2 count packs, 50 pair for $9.00.

At about $0.18 cents per day for fresh sanitary ear plugs its certainly cost effective option. I usually keep a handful in my top case and also a pack or two in my jacket.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's a shame that back when I was working in the construction trade that ear plugs were non existant . OSHA at the time was in
it's very early stages. We would run 90 lb jack hammers all day long with little if any protection. Maybe a pair of ill fitting muffs
laying in the back of the van. I thought nothing then about how it would effect my hearing some 30 years later. and wow did it
ever. So do yourselves a favor and please wear these things.

Reactions: Coach23101
1 - 20 of 43 Posts