StromTrooper banner

Bike wont turn over! Help!

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  brutalguyracing 
#1 ·
So I was driving my 2007 wee to walmart in the 105 degree heat, bike running fine, not over heated. Stopped in the parking lot, turned off, went in for about 15 minutes, came out, bike turned over for maybe two or three cycles, and then died. Haven't been able to get it started again. When I turn the key, everything comes on like normal, the gauges sweep across the screen, seems likes its turning over from the starter forcing it to, but no ignition. I had the battery tested which came back that it was fine, put it on a charger over night, still wont start. I took the fuel line off the metal piece coming out of the tank and when I attempt to start the bike, no fuel comes out, which leads me to think its a fuel pump problem?

Help :x

#4 ·
Sounds like the battery or the starter motor.

As Gert said a jump start can tell you a lot.

Did you open the throttle when cranking the motor ?

That can help especially if the battery power is low.

#5 ·
put it on a charger over night, still wont start.
I'd check 2 things: battery and fuel pump output.

Put it on the charger again, over night. In the morning, take it off the charger and check the voltage across the battery posts. Write that down. Let it sit all day, ignore it. The next morning, check the voltage again. Repeat for 3-4 days. How quickly is the battery dropping voltage? What is it reading on day one compared to day four?

Then I would check the fuel flow once I was convinced that the battery was holding charge sufficiently, I'd check the fuel pump output. See https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,11603.0.html You may benefit from bypassing the internal high pressure fuel filter via the external in-line fuel filter modification.

#6 ·
Sounds like battery and starter motor are ok, and if you disconnected/unclipped the fuel line from the pump and no fuel came out with ignition on then sounds like fuel pump failure, can you hear the pump prime?

#7 ·
So I charged the battery and even after a week its hold its charge, so battery is good.

I disconnected the fuel line and turned the key to on and no fuel comes out of the tank.
I'm thinking the fuel filter has something wrong with it. When attempting to start the bike the fuel does not come out either.

Tried uploading vids, but long story short, when key is turned on, no fuel comes out to prime, when attempting to start no fuel comes out either. I've checked voltage of the plug and its getting the voltage from the battery to function.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Engine sold but fuel pump available, if you need.

#13 ·
So I was driving my 2007 wee to walmart in the 105 degree heat, bike running fine, not over heated. Stopped in the parking lot, turned off, went in for about 15 minutes, came out, bike turned over for maybe two or three cycles, and then died. Haven't been able to get it started again. When I turn the key, everything comes on like normal, the gauges sweep across the screen, seems likes its turning over from the starter forcing it to, but no ignition. I had the battery tested which came back that it was fine, put it on a charger over night, still wont start. I took the fuel line off the metal piece coming out of the tank and when I attempt to start the bike, no fuel comes out, which leads me to think its a fuel pump problem?

Help :x
You guys are missing an important clue. The bike is turning over. It's not the starter or battery.

#15 ·
The headline is "bike won't turn over" and the way I read it is the motor turns too slowly to start ???

He must think the same otherwise why would you charge a battery that is doing a good job ???

#16 ·
No, 2012 pump assembly is a different part to 2007, fuel sender looks different. But you can buy just the pump/motor, some on ebay for 2007. The pump assembly comes apart, you’ll need to drain the tank to remove the pump,
Ebay,
NEW Fuel Pump for Suzuki DL650 DL650A V-Strom Vstrom 650 2007-2011 15100-27G00
Kraftstoffpumpe Suzuki DL650 DL650A V-Strom Vstrom 650

#18 ·
So is the motor actually turning over, i.e. from the starter motor making it do so, but not firing on it's own?

Is it sound like it is catching a bit but not enough to keep it running? If so you might ty holding the trouble wide open while you hut the starter button. That way if the motor was flooded (got too much gas that wetted the spark plugs) the plugs might get a chance to dry a bit.

..Tom

#20 ·
When you turn on the ignition (but not yet pressing the starter button) with the bike in neutral do you hear the pump running for a few seconds?

If the answer is no here is something to check: I have never looked for it but think there is a fuel pump fuse. Have you checked if the fuse is okay?

..Tom

#22 ·
Since you are going to have to drain the tank anyway, I suggest that you first test the existing pump, by connecting power directly to the pump and listen if the pump tries to run. A few seconds of testing the pump outside of the tank will not be a problem. Hopefully it is just the low pressure filter (part #2) that is blocked. See fuel pump parts list https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b5d24f8700235b8767fd0/fuel-pump.

#25 ·
Reversing the wires on a pump and running it backwards for a bit will often get things going for a while.

The problem with that is you could be dealing with raw fuel and sparks, if you don't know what you are doing it could be a disaster.

Reactions: Gert
#26 ·
Okay, so update****

I bought a cheap chinese fuel pump (mistake) and it didn't do anything. So I went and picked up a Quantum brand replacement pump at the local bike shop, I put the assembly together, I turned the key, I can hear the pump turning on, but still no fuel. I talked to the shop mech and said it might be the pressure regulator, so I ordered that and it should be here this week. It's getting the right voltage (12v) and is turning on like its sposed to, just not actually sending fuel through the system. Any thoughts?

#28 ·
Alright everyone. Now is the time I get to show some dumb...

After installing a cheap Chinese fuel pump, then buying a quantum systems fuel pump, and then a pressure regulator, I have found what was wrong.

The fuel pump was in fact dead, but when I switched out the pumps, I switched the leads and had positive to negative and negative to positive... the pump was running backwards, which is why I wasn't getting any fuel...Thanks for all of your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.