StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got all my gear on, rolled the bike out, turned it on, hit the start button and nothing.

Fuel pump is firing ok. All lights are working normally. If i hit the kill switch i hear the pump turn off, and fire up again when i turn it back on. No errors on display.

Raised and lowered the side stand. Put bike in gear and out of gear. Clutch in/out. Nothing makes any difference.

I'm suspecting a dirty start switch or a blown fuse someplace.

Suggestions?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The clutch switch is the one item that show no indicators. Other safety cutouts will show a CHEC or FI where the clock normally is. Since the fuel pump is working, the clutch switch is the number one suspect.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did just replace my clutch lever recently. So that may be it. Will have to wait until i get home to check it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
"I'm suspecting a dirty start switch"....I agree.

Try this, push the start button in slowly and move it side to side a little if it will. Don't just push it until it bottoms. If it kicks the starter....you know the answer.

Clutch switch my next thought.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
An adjustable lever may not work on the #1 setting. Mine doesn't. It won't engage the clutch switch.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, moved the lever to 3 and it fired right up.

My new anti-theft device. :)

Thanks for the suggestion greywolf, you may have saved me hours of troubleshooting. :)

Thanks everyone else too. Lots of great ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never really get why people think the Strom is ugly. I think it looks much the same as the new Tenere everyone is flipping over, and half the price. What?

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
changed the grips (to thicker ones) and was getting this same problem. here i was cleaning the start switch, checking the battery, etc.

thicker grips prevent the lever from coming back all the way (just enough for that switch to not work). adjusted to a different setting and it works now.
You do understand that the odds are 6:1 that -- after you have resolved the adjustable lever problem and the plush grip problem -- you will slightly and invisibly dislodge the wire to the clutch switch (which had not been a problem before)? Please ask me how I know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You do understand that the odds are 6:1 that -- after you have resolved the adjustable lever problem and the plush grip problem -- you will slightly and invisibly dislodge the wire to the clutch switch (which had not been a problem before)? Please ask me how I know!
My first post,
Hi fellow stromtroopers
This is a great site, thank you to everyone who contributes.
I bought my 2008 650 2 weeks ago and have been sorting it out for fit.
I adjusted my bars to decrease the reach and apparently unplugged my clutch safety switch. After charging for an hour and still no starter or no relay click, I decided to check with stromtroopers, this was the first page google brought up, went back outside and stared feeling around the clutch pearch and sure enough, a free hanging connector, plugged it in and bam, shes alive.
Thanks guys, please keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I never really get why people think the Strom is ugly. I think it looks much the same as the new Tenere everyone is flipping over, and half the price. What?

Half the price and bigger eyes. How about the shape of side (tank) fairings on new KTM. Doesn't it remind you something? To bad Suzuki doesn't have such a great decalls...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another one saved (from his own stupidity).

This thread has just saved my bacon, too :laugh2: .

Even though I fitted the adjustable clutch lever (and set it to Position 1) a few weeks ago now, it seems that the switch must have been right on limit of making contact, as the bike wouldn't start today. I went through all kinds of theories before I found this thread. One extra click on the clutch lever adjustment and the starter button was soon working its magic again :wink2: .

If there's a more useful tool in the modern motorcyclist's tool kit than Google, I've yet to see it :grin2: .

Cheers!

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same issue and the same fix!

An adjustable lever may not work on the #1 setting. Mine doesn't. It won't engage the clutch switch.
Ditto thanks! - Spent couple hours fiddling with the start switch, fuses, wires - simple solution, adjust new levers...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts