Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittently, my 2006 DL650 won't roll even in neutral. Sometimes the problem goes away. Other times, I almost can't roll the bike forward or backward. Could this be a problem with the clutch? I can't seem to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
Hi Bud. We really need more information to help. Is the bike hard to roll back and forth with the engine off, and in neutral?

If the bike is in neutral it does not matter what the clutch is doing. Find out which wheel is the problem by elevating each in the air and spinning them by hand. If one is grabbing it is most likely brakes, chain, or wheel bearings.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
With the scanty information available here, the highest probability is a sticky brake caliper, or a displaced brake pad or pin.

Take a careful look at all three calipers; are all six pads worn evenly? Any discoloration on the rotors?

It's also possible that one of the pads or calipers is out of place. This is especially common after work on the rear wheel or rear brake; getting the pads and caliper back into place properly can be fiddly. Look at the rear caliper from the left, through the wheel -- is the inner pad touching the wheel? Grab the caliper and pull on it -- are both caliper pins in place? Is the lug in the caliper carrier properly seated in the slot on the swingarm?

Up front, make sure the pins and those tiny R-clips are in place, and that the pads aren't out of place.

Also, put your city and state in your profile; lots of Strommers out there are bored as hell this winter, and if anyone is nearby they'd probably be happy to swing by and take a look. I know I would if you're in Indy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've lifted the bike on the center stand & both wheels are spinning freely. The problem comes and goes though, so I'll test it again when it reoccurs and report back if necessary.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
Another possibility is that the light indicating neutral is not functioning properly.

When it won't move are you pulling In the clutch?

Will it move at all if the clutch is pulled in and the bike is in gear?

..Tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sounds like clutch plate drag. Makes it hard to roll bike when temps are cooler and bike has not been started. Just a guess but as good a guess as can be made with limited information given.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
If your brake leaver has not been lubricated in a long time I would guess the your gear lever also has not been lubricated, you should do both now.

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
See the image below.
You will need to disconnect the threaded arm shown in the top image, the return spring which is obscured and the spring clip which secures the lever to the bike.
Disconnect all three and remove the lever from the bike.
Thoroughly clean the pivot shaft and the lever, apply fresh grease and reassemble.
Follow the adjustment suggestions in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think Brockie should get an award for being the most helpful Stromtrooper. Not only does he give helpful words, he even goes to the trouble of posting shop manual pictures.

You the man Brockie!! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts