StromTrooper banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Rain and cold temperatures do not harm these bikes. Spray a little WD-40 in the tumbler (gas tank and seat latch as well). That keeps them from freezing up.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Do not start and run your engine for a short period of time. It only adds moisture to the oil and exhaust system. If you can't ride it for 15 minutes or so, leave it alone. Disconnect the battery, put it on a tender. Menards and other box stores sell some for around $20 that seem to work fine, if you don't want to spring for the high-priced spread. Most will also sell a multimeter for $20 or less that will work well enough. Occasionally Amazon has some decent ones for around $10.00. Harbor Freight as a last resort, but they won't last.

Auto parts stores sell lock de-icer for a couple of bucks, probably worth it to do that and dry out your lock. They also sell graphited locksmith oil, a little squirt will keep it from re-freezing, most likely.

If you started the bike with a battery at 11.9 volts, it's probably toast.

Lots of posts here on how to 'mothball' your bike in the fall. And how to wake it up in the spring. Most importantly, be sure the battery has a full charge before starting it for the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Ahh, the old "not in neutral" scenario :p

I would get that bike dry before storing for the winter next time. Having to unfreeze a starter switch is a red flag for me.

Starting it through the winter only makes sense if you're running synthetic oil with great cold flow properties and letting the bike come to full operating temperature each time. Otherwise, pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger, top up the tank and put stabil in it, cover the bike, and don't touch it until Spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Voltage was 11.9. The ignition switch aka key was frozen. I unthawed it with a hair dryer. The lights work, all the dash lights work as they should. I took it off the kickstand, maybe kick stand switch is frozen, The on off switch on right bar works as it should. Maybe the clutch switch is frozen maybe something inside the key switch has broken from freezing. My guess is it will start right up when things thaw out. It does not hurt a bike to start it up once a week in winter. It actually keeps thing in better order than parking it for 4 months.

Sorry for being a jerk, but I couldnt resist. You UNTHAWED it with a hairdryer, you have an Ice gun, wow! Sorry, and goodluck with your problem.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts