StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the bike a few weeks ago when it was warmer. Parked it in a shed. 2018 vstrom 1k . Today I went out to start it, let it run for a while because it winter. It wont crank and the fuel pump makes no noise when you turn the ignition on. Im guessing it has water frozen somewhere in the wiring.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hard to say for sure without measuring a few things. You have a multi-meter???

Let's start with the at-rest voltage of the battery with nothing turned on.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I rode the bike a few weeks ago when it was warmer. Parked it in a shed. 2018 vstrom 1k . Today I went out to start it, let it run for a while because it winter. It wont crank and the fuel pump makes no noise when you turn the ignition on. Im guessing it has water frozen somewhere in the wiring.
Does the headlight turn on when you turn the ignition on? Check your kill switch, make sure it didn't accidentally get turned off. It could be a loose battery cable like @Jimding said. a loose cable will sometimes transmit enough power for the lights, horn etc but not enough contact with the battery posts to start the bike.
If you have no power to anything, It could be the battery is completely shot, it happens. Or it might be one of the 30 amp main fuses has blown. Under the seat, near the tank, you'll see a relay with two green fuses under a plastic cover.. The photo below is of my '17 DL 650, but a 1000 should be similar.
Lastly, be careful when you turn the bike off that you don't turn the key all the way counter-clockwise. That last position is the parking light circuit which keeps the taillight and city light on.

Reactions: Gert and Brockie

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts
Start with the basics. Kill switch, side stand, battery drained for some reason.
If not these tell us more about what, if any, electricals work.

BTW starting up a bike in the shed to keep the battery charged is not a good idea as it just creates condensation in the motor. Just put the battery on a trickle charger.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
low battery, kill switch & ignition fuse will stop the fuel pump.

do your flashers work ?

ensure the bike is in neutral that removes the stand switch from the system and the clutch switch will not stop the fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Sounds like the bike was not put away well for the "frozen" season. Has nothing to do with it's wiring. You got several valid suggestions. The bike has a build in V meter.
1. What's the reading when you turn on the ignition?
2. What's the reading when you try to start?

You likely need a charger (Battery Tender) or similar and recharge the battery and keep it tended over the winter. When its time to actually run it again, then figure out what its takes to get it started, most likely it will start right up if the battery is not dead and its contacts are clean and tight (assume you did not have starting issues in the past).

Don't run the engine unless you want to ride it, as suggested above. Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the bike was not put away well for the "frozen" season. Has nothing to do with it's wiring. You got several valid suggestions. The bike has a build in V meter.
1. What's the reading when you turn on the ignition?
2. What's the reading when you try to start?

You likely need a charger (Battery Tender) or similar and recharge the battery and keep it tended over the winter. When its time to actually run it again, then figure out what its takes to get it started, most likely it will start right up if the battery is not dead and its contacts are clean and tight (assume you did not have starting issues in the past).

Don't run the engine unless you want to ride it, as suggested above. Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer.
Everything on the dash works as it should as well as the lights . The voltage was 11.9. I put a trickle charger on it last night. The key switch was frozen. I had to heat it up with a hair dryer to get it thawed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to say for sure without measuring a few things. You have a multi-meter???

Let's start with the at-rest voltage of the battery with nothing turned on.
Voltage was 11.9. The ignition switch aka key was frozen. I unthawed it with a hair dryer. The lights work, all the dash lights work as they should. I took it off the kickstand, maybe kick stand switch is frozen, The on off switch on right bar works as it should. Maybe the clutch switch is frozen maybe something inside the key switch has broken from freezing. My guess is it will start right up when things thaw out. It does not hurt a bike to start it up once a week in winter. It actually keeps thing in better order than parking it for 4 months.

·
Administrator
17,929 Posts
Voltage was 11.9. The ignition switch aka key was frozen. I unthawed it with a hair dryer. The lights work, all the dash lights work as they should. I took it off the kickstand, maybe kick stand switch is frozen, The on off switch on right bar works as it should. Maybe the clutch switch is frozen maybe something inside the key switch has broken from freezing. My guess is it will start right up when things thaw out. It does not hurt a bike to start it up once a week in winter. It actually keeps thing in better order than parking it for 4 months.
That's quite the assumption you have there, and is your bike outside uncovered or something?

·
Registered
373 Posts
11.9 is a bit low. The panel volt meter doesn't let you test the "at rest" voltage with nothing on, correct? Does it show a voltage number when you hit the start button?

Do you have a separate multi meter? That would let us do some more systematic testing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As previous posters have said starting a bike while in storage is not a good ideal. I have talked to many factory service reps in the power sports business and they all say not to start an engine while it is storage. You are not putting the engine under enough load to heat the engine properly to burn off condensation in the engine exhaust etc that you would while operating the vehicle. It could do more damage than good.
They all recommended keeping the battery on a tender, using good fuel and possible a stabilizer or drain carbs. Change oil before storage. And if you are really concerned you could fog the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
11.9 is a bit low. The panel volt meter doesn't let you test the "at rest" voltage with nothing on, correct? Does it show a voltage number when you hit the start button?

Do you have a separate multi meter? That would let us do some more systematic testing.
The battery charger shows the battery voltage. It said 11.9 and a 95% charge. The bike was in the rain before it got below freezing. My guess is water froze somewhere in the wiring or switches.Either breaking something or causing a bad connection. Its not suppose to be above freezing for a couple more weeks. The key switch is frozen again this morning after thawing it out yesterday. Bad design imo the key sits in a bowl shaped housing thats asking for water issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im dumb it wasnt in neutral. Although the battery charger now says my battery is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As previous posters have said starting a bike while in storage is not a good ideal. I have talked to many factory service reps in the power sports business and they all say not to start an engine while it is storage. You are not putting the engine under enough load to heat the engine properly to burn off condensation in the engine exhaust etc that you would while operating the vehicle. It could do more damage than good.
They all recommended keeping the battery on a tender, using good fuel and possible a stabilizer or drain carbs. Change oil before storage. And if you are really concerned you could fog the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Storage yes My bike is not in storage I ride it when their isnt snow on the roads.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
It may have fried your battery or not charged it. Get a Batterytender or equivalent. They pay for themselves by extending the battery life. I have my bike hooked up almost all the time I am not riding it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts