StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been running and starting without issue since I got it last fall.

Started it fine the other day, and accidentally killed it putting into gear, and now it won't start, the ignition won't fire.

Put the bike in neutral and the fuel system engages (or in gear with the kickstand up), but the start button will not do anything.

I read about the clutch switch as a common problem (this is my first MC didn't realize it even had this). it looks like my bike this is disconnected. Guessing the plugs that were to connect to the switch got removed. I just have 2 bare wires.

#1. Could connecting those 2 wires bypass the switch? Guessing this is what the previous owner did for whatever reason.

I tested twisting these together, and it made not difference.

#2. Would connecting these wires back to the switch be any different than twisting together? I put them on there and it didn't seem to have an impact.

#3. If my testing above has vetted out the cutch switch, what else could be the problem? Do the clutch switch wires run into a fuse? could that be blown?

someone had also stated the started could be bad in one thread I read, and said to push it slowly with upward and downward pressure... this didn't do anything either.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If the clutch switch wires are shorted together the bike will start (normally that is) but may not idle very well and may die. The clutch switch plays a part in the ECU.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Make sure you haven't accidentally hit the kill switch on the right hand bar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kill switch is not enabled, hence fuel system turns on.

If shorting wires together is essentially the same as engaging the clutch, any other ideas on causes for this problem?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
What year is your bike? 2007 and later model year Wees like to stall at idle if the clutch lever switch is not connected. 2004-2006 Wees can have the wires connected if you're okay with giving up the safety switch. Twisting wires together is not a good connection. They need solder or a crimp connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2004. If the bike is in Neutral though, it doesn't need that connection right?...clutch (clutch switch) does not have to be engaged to start, correct?

·
38,103 Posts
Incorrect. The clutch switch wires have to have continuity to engage the starter under any and all circumstances.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I may do what Greywolf describes to my 2006....the clutch switch has been getting a bit sticky, causing me to work the clutch lever a bit to get the bike to start. Sometimes I have to do this, sometimes not, but it's becoming more frequent.

·
38,103 Posts
So the starter motor isn't moving? Try shorting the starter relay terminals together to make sure the starter motor is working. Beware of sparks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts