StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an replacement for my DRZ400S and would like to know if this bike would be a good choice for me. Currently, I have a DRZ400S which is ridden 90% on-road. I have the 00' model with the crumy suspension and I live in the mountains of Colorado. This is the the perfect place for a "ultimate" Dual Sport or Advemnture Tourer (in theory). However, I found my self wondering if I should spend my money on making my DRZ more dirt worthy or trade it in on a real street bike. The decision was made by my Dr.; I broke and dislocated my jaw and have had terrible head aches for over 11 years. My Dr. is stabalizing my jaw in a new position and I cannot go off-road (too much bouncing around) for at least a couple years. I also, need an up-right ridding position, like a dirt bike has.

So, I want to get a real street bike. However, I would still like to be able to cruise down a smooth fire or logging road whenever one comes up. My DRZ does this great, but I have already been down every fire road within a 60 minute ride. I live in Vail and feel trapped in this valley, because to get out of here one has to take I-70 or State HW 24. My DRZ will run at 75mph on the Interstate, even at this elevation (+7,000ft), but it is really up in the rpm's. It is not enjoyable and the distances to travle in this state are great. Plus, there is no wind protection and the seat (I have the optional gel seat) causes one to give in and dismount after an hour. I have ridden the bike 120 miles (one way) in Indiana, but this was almost easier despite being flat because I was on back roads and not keeping the throttle open all the time.

Can the V-Strom handle fire roads? How far off-road can you take it? I cannot go onto the ruff trails keep in mind anyway, I just want to explore this state. I would like to be able to take a 4 hour trip to another part of the state and be comfortable. For that matter, it would be nice to be able to explore Utah on the bike (staying overnight, of course).

Additionally, I ride "two-up' frequently (on the DRZ!!) and would like to know your opinions on this aspect of the bike. I have read every article I can find on the bike and they have nothing but praise. I think the new KTM 905 Adeventure might be a better choice for me, because it is more dirt worthy, but it is simply too much money. For that matter, would I be just as well off on an SV650 or 1000? Will the VStrom handle the dirt roads that much better to justify the extra money it cost over the SV's? If I am ever able to go off-raod for real, I will just have to get a real dirt bike and dual-sport it (most of the trails are too ruff for the DRZ400S in stock form). I just want to be able to go down the many fire and logging roads that seam to be everywhere in this state.

Any comments and advice are most appreciated, Nathan

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've taken my 'Strom on quite a few gravel-surfaced forest service roads this summer. It handles them with ease compared to my old cruiser. Dirt bike it's not, but in many ways, it's a lot more fun. I think of mine as a dirt bike on steriods. I would seriously consider avoiding deep ruts as the 'Strom's exhaust header and oil cooler are positioned a little low for such use.

On pavement, my 'Strom is amazingly smooth and comfortable, although I quickly added a custom saddle with a gel insert. The suspension is easily adjustable for riding two up and it offers a well-damped, Cadillac-like ride compared to my 2002 cruiser. You will need to experiement with windshields to get one that works for you. For REALLY fast driving (80+ mph) I'd invest in a pair of Metzeler radials because they raise the 'Strom's composure at speed by a notch or more.

As far as covering miles, I've done a few 700 mile long daytrips with little effort. The V-Strom is amazingly comfortable and is the first bike that makes me want to tackle an iron butt ride. I take mine into the mountains regularly and it blasts from sea level up 4000 foot mountain passes without breathing hard.

Before you buy, take one for a spin. You'll fall in love with it. I test drove a brand new 'Strom while waiting for my Volusia to be serviced. I fell so hard I never got back on the Vol.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howboucha Nathan!
Woofy pretty much nailed it. The V-Strom would be a great machine for you, but will be heavier and sluggish feeling compared to your DRZ.

I have played around in Colorado on a KL250! Rode it to the top of "American Flag". As I recall, it's about 14K ft and the 250 hated every minute of it.

Your mentioning of riding your DRZ in Indiana raised my curiosity. Did you participate in a Dual Sport event, or where you just playing around?

If you get a chance, go to my Indiana MC-OHV site Howboucha.com and check out the Indiana Adventures section. The site needs fixed, but there is some info about some trips-rides we have done.

Also, we opened our first OHV park. www.redbirdsra.com has the info.

Keep two wheeling,
Brendan
Stromtrooper #653

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nathan,

I have to agree with Woofy, take one for a test ride! I use mine off-road all the time. Maybe not dirt bike material, but dirt, gravel, mud and grass trails have not been a problem so far.

Steve

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nathan,

I can't tell you anything about the V-Strom as I do not own one. I must admit, the baby DL650 looks very appealing. But having owned a DRZ400s and now having a XR650L I feel I can offer some advice. The DRZ is a great trail bike. But as you know, that 2x4 of a seat leaves your butt a hurtin. That's basically why I got rid of mine. I didn't care so much about the winding her out, as that motor is a modern high tech reving machine. I love my XR though, it will take on any fire/forest service road with ease. It will even do single track trails, I know this for a fact!!! Really great suspension that when set softly provides a nice cushy ride. And it is a pleasure on the highway, will cruise 70 mph all day long. And, the nice wide 8 inch seat is fairly comfy. And if you so choose, there is a Corbin seat available. Take a look at one. Some guys on the Yahoo group use them solely for street duty, so that should tell you something.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts